CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005 Honda Accord suffers from transmission failure. It's not a huge widesperad problem like in prior years, but definitely still something to consider.

The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 90,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000.

Transmission failure problems have been a huge problem for the Accord & several other Honda models all through the early 2000s model years. Honda eventually extended the transmission warranty to 93 months/109k miles for the 2000-2001 Accords as a class action lawsuit settlement, but owners of other Accord model years with transmission problems are out of luck.

7.9

1. needs to be repainted (33 reports)
  3. repaint (1 reports)
2005 Honda Accord body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Honda Accord:

2005 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Oct 022016

Accord V4

I'm embarassed to drive this car. The clear coat on the hood is peeling and looks awful. Honda should repaint these cars for free.

- , San Diego, US

Sep 022016

Accord EX 4 cyl

I went to the dealer. No, there is no recall on your car. Call Honda. On with them, mostly hold, for 32 minutes. There is no recall or extended warranty on your VIN. Only when I said I might put a sign on the car that Honda doesn't care did they give me the National Center for Dispute Settlement.

- , Brookline, US

Jan 022017

Accord LX 4 cyl

Car runs great; paint job looks like sh*t. Never clear coating problem with any of my Hondas before.

- , Colonia, NJ, USA

Jun 152013

Accord LX 3.2L

I contacted Honda and I was told my car was out of warranty on the paint, I told them my car was always covered and there was no reason for this to have happened so they agreed to pay for half the cost, most of the peeling was on the roof. I was asked to take it to the dealer and get an estimate which was supposed to have been faxed to Honda, three months later I contacted Honda and I was told they never got the paperwork but I told them that since then my trunk had started to peel also so they told me to take it back and redo the estimate, the original quote had been for $1500 which is a very large area because they would have to sand the quarter panels starting from the roof to the bottoms of the sides so they could blend the color but now with the trunk peeling which is a very small area went to $2600, I'm on a fixed income I could scrape money for the half of $1500 but now I had to come up with half of $2600 within a week. Honda did a very bad thing and they know it, I see hundreds of cars much newer on the road with peeling paint even though they have had many paint complaints, rather than fixing the problem they try to brush it under the table and keep producing crappy paint, the sad thing is that I don't drive my car much so I have a 2005 Accord that runs great but looks like crap and it only has 21,000 miles.

- , San Diego, US

Apr 012012

Accord EX 2.4L

My red 2005 red Honda Accord has severe paint peeling problems all over the roof, hood, trunk, etc.The classic complaint, I now realize. It has peeled to the uncoated metal and looks---horrible! I bought the car new, have taken great care with it, I only have 70,000 miles on it and it's in excellent condition. I have some chemical sensitivities and asthma and painting the car could literally kill me. It could take weeks to months to off-gass so I don't get sick. Does anyone have any suggestions????

- , San Rafael, CA, US

Aug 012016

Accord EX 4 cyl

The peeling paint is mainly on the roof and trunk, and it is spreading to a larger area all of the time.

- , Mansfield, MA, USA

Oct 012015

Accord EX 3.2L

The car runs beautifully but is embarrassingly ugly. It started off with just a few spots faded and now the whole car looks like a piece of crap. I feel like a homeless person driving it. It is also unsellable.

- , Mount Laurel, NJ, USA

Jan 012016

Accord EX

click to see larger images

clear coat chipping/peeling clear coat chipping/peeling clear coat chipping/peeling clear coat chipping/peeling clear coat chipping/peeling

My car looks awful! The paint has disappeared and has grey spots in the areas affected. Honda needs to recall this and pay to have my car repainted.

- , Leander, TX, US

Aug 012015

Accord EXL 3.0L V6

Mechanically, vehicle is solid. Paint, however, started to peel/fade in August 2015 on trunk, roof, and hood. It looks very similar to the photos posted by others experiencing the same issue. The problem is probably going to get to the embarrassing stage within the next 6 months. I wish Honda would admit to their sub-standard paint practices and provide a recall and fix the problem. Paint/clear coat should last longer 10 years.

- , Richmond Hill, GA, USA

May 012015

Accord LX

The car is functioning perfectly well! But some times the paint gives it a bit bad feel, though its not much.

- , Louisville, KY, USA

Mar 012015

Accord LX 2.4L

clear coat chipping/peeling

The clear coat on my car started turn white and flake off. I notice many Honda cars about the same age have the same problem.

- , Leawood, KS, USA

Nov 012013

Accord LX V6

A couple of years ago several white patches started appearing on the roof. The problem rapidly spread to other areas including the trunk, panels, and the edges outside the windows. It really looks awful and now in some places the bare metal is showing through and beginning to rust. I've seen several other black Accords in my area with the same problem, and a Google search reveals that there have been hundreds of similar complaints. We recently took the car in for routine maintenance and mentioned this problem to the dealer. They replied that they had neither seen nor heard of this problem before.

- , Cherry Hill, NJ, USA

Dec 022013

Accord EX-L 4-cyl

I have 2005 Honda Accord that is in great condition except for the paint. The clear coat is peeling and the car looks awful. I thought the paint was suppose to be good for the lifetime of the car for the most part. It is too expensive for me to have repainted. Is there anything thing else I can do?

- , Taylors, SC, USA

Jan 232013

Accord LX

I have owned Hondas since 1984 and have owned some of them up to the car being 20 years old and not ONE of them has ever had an issue with the original paint on the car. None of them were ever in a garage but Honda refused to admit the need for a recall and refuses to take responsibility. If they do not remedy the situation before I buy a new car, I can assure you it will not be a Honda.

- , Bonaire, GA, US

May 012014

Accord Coupe 3.0L V6

The peeling started when I moved to the south from Virginia. Must be something in the air here. Now it looks ugly. It's all over the car on the roof, hood, and back.

- , Lafayette, LA, USA

Sep 302014

Accord EX

click to see larger images

The clear coat is failing on the roof, hood, quarter panel, window edge and looks HORRIBLE! It began in one small area and is spreading.

Read there is paint recall for Civics but not Accords.

There is a class action lawsuit for 2003-2007 Honda vehicles but only includes California and New York residents. http://www.courthousenews.com/2012/07/27/HondaCA.pdf

I will NOT buy another Honda unless my car is recalled and the paint issues fixed.

- , Houston, TX, USA

Jul 132014

Accord LX 4

The clear coating started coming off on the passenger side quarter panel and it is also starting to come off in other places too.

- , Little Rock, AR, USA

Jan 012011

Accord LX V6

We pay a lot for vehicles. Paint is not something that should have to be paid for twice if it is not aging as it is supposed to. Half of the paint looks great for the car's age, but the other half looks like someone scrubbed it with steel wool. It's ridiculous that the paint is wearing out in some places but not others - it almost looks like it's two different cars! Honda should pay for the paint to be restored with a quality of paint that will wear evenly, as that is what we paid for to begin with.

- , Pleasanton, TX, USA

Oct 012009

Accord LX V4

click to see larger images

Horrible paint on my car and the majority of others I see of similar age. Obviously there is a problem and Honda should step up and take care of it.

- , Valrico, FL, USA

May 012013

Accord LX

Like many others, the black paint on my 2005 Accord is failing. Roof, trunk, etc. look absolutely terrible. I'm embarrassed to park my car in my neighborhood or in the parking lot at work. So much for Honda having any kind of classy image. Now I have a white-trash-mobile.

- , Baltimore, MD, USA