CarComplaints.com Notes: It's rare when a newer vehicle has defect trends, & the 2017 Honda CR-V has at least two — overfilled oil levels with a gas smell, & heat not working.

Both problems affecting the Honda CR-V's 1.5L "Earth Dreams" engine appear to be related to cold-climate regions.

CR-V owners report overfilled oil levels due to fuel in the oil, & sometimes a gas smell in the cabin. That problem appears to be related to fuel injection which Honda hopes to fix via a software update. Honda so far has only conducted a recall in China & a "product update" in Canada.

CR-V owners also report no heat even after warming up their CR-Vs for 30 minutes — not even enough to defrost the windshield. So far, there has been no fix from Honda for this issue.

5.7

2. honda will fix it when panasonic fixes the problem. huh? (2 reports)
2017 Honda CR-V accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2017 Honda CR-V:

2017 Honda CR-V Owner Comments

Aug 102019

CR-V EX-L Turbo

Add me to the list of those having the same problem regarding the brightness control having a mind of it's own along with the aggravating and distracting beeps that accompany it.

- Frank L., Pittsfield, US

May 162019

CR-V EX-L 14755

This is the second time the display/brightness thing has happened. This time I was using Google Maps to get somewhere, and it started doing acting up. Clearly, the map feature stopped working and all I could get was the brightness issue. No GPS, no map, nothing except the display issue. Had to pull over to the side of the road and restart my car. This was incredibly convenient as I was driving somewhere I hadn't been before and really needed to use the display to find the right location. When is this going to become a big enough issue to issue a recall? I can't imagine what would've happened if I was hundreds of miles from home... Totally unacceptable. Before buying this, I debated back and forth between this and a Toyota. This un-recalled, un-fixed issue is making me second guess my choice.

- Donna S., Mundelein, IL, US

Mar 182019

CR-V LX

Besides having the issue of the car not heating up, I now have an issue with my brand new cars audio. The brightness/contrast screen pops up at random times beeping the whole time and flashing on and off without any way to stop it other than pulling over and turning the car off. I bought an extended warranty just for this and there is no fix. This is super annoying!

- Tanya Z., Hastings, US

Dec 122017

CR-V EX-L 1.5L T

• CVT transmission

Audio system was automatically restarted once. Sometimes the brightness of the audio display screen automatically adjusts the brightness to increase or decrease while beeping. It also changes from day to night modes on broad day light. I had this happening several times I lost count of! Took it to the dealer at least 3 times for the same issue but they weren't able to figure out what's the issue or could not able to see the issue happening. Once they told automatic headlights can cause it. When it happens next time I've switched from Auto to Off/On positions. But it did not change anything

- jaykaybee, Parker, US

Dec 032018

CR-V EX-L 1.5L 4-cyl

Same as the first complaint. Like a kid repeatedly messing with the brightness controls on the center display unit. Annoying, and there is no near-term solve for it. Can really pose a problem if you become distracted by it while driving highway speeds.

- Sean C., Riverside, IL, US

Dec 172018

CR-V

The brightness screen suddenly comes on and won't go off; it flashes, it beeps, the control screen (for the radio, gps, climate, etc.) will not work while this is happening. Although this is my first report, this problem has occurred 4 or 5 times in the 22 months that we've had the car. The only way to resolve the issue is to pull over and turn off the car. Apparently, the re-start must reboot the computer issue that is causing the glitch.

We spoke with the Honda service manager today; he'd never heard of anything like this. Told us we'd have to leave the car for a couple of days so he could work with Honda tech support to figure out what the problem is. We didn't leave the car, as that is incredibly inconvenient for us. Next time it happens, I intend to drive directly to the dealership and let them see it for themselves.

Update from Jan 16, 2019: So, the day after talking to a service tech about the problem, it happened again. We immediately drove to the dealership so a tech could see it for himself. This tech said he'd experienced this problem with another customer and Honda had replaced the entire "command console", which is a $2000 part. They gave us a loaner and kept our car for 6 days; the Honda super computer would "talk" to our car to see what the issue was and what to do about it. Got a call yesterday; Honda is blaming the issue on Panasonic, who manufactures the "command console"; Honda won't do anything about the issue until Panasonic comes up with a fix. So, we are waiting/hoping for a recall at some point. We've bought Hondas since 1979 (except for one Hyundai), and really thought better of them than this. This isn't every single 2017 CRV that has this issue, obviously. Honda should suck it up and replace the console.

- Libby N., Quincy, US

Dec 012017

CR-V EX-L

Every once in a while, say a few times a month. the brightness control will come up by itself. It beeps, and brings up the brightness settings as if I touched it. Then it goes off, and comes back again, beeping and flashing incessantly. It's as if a kid is messing around and touching the brightness button over and over. The only way to stop it is to pull over and turn off the engine. Resetting by holding down the volume button doesn't work. It is SO ANNOYING! Especially if you're on the freeway and can't fix it right away.

- Robert S., La Verne, US