CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2015 Nissan Altima shows multiple problem trends, continuing the poor reputation of the 2013 & 2014 Altima, prompting us to give it our "Beware of the Clunker" badge.

Owners are complaining about transmission problems related to the CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission).

7.2

2. replace transmission (3 reports)
  3. replace valve body (3 reports)
2015 Nissan Altima transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Nissan Altima:

2015 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 102019

Altima S 2.5L-Liter Direct Injecti

• CVT transmission

I bought a used 2015 Nissan Altima in February of 2019 and on June 10, 2019 my CVT Transmission failed. My car had been shuttering and stalling for about a week and I scheduled an appointment with a reputable, local transmission repair shop to get it checked out. They told me that I would have to take my car to a Nissan Dealership because Nissan would not sell their shop the parts to fix my transmission issues. So I called my local Nissan Dealer and scheduled a service department check. The Nissan shop looked at my car and told me I would need a complete new CVT Transmission install at a cost of $4,654.83. The dealer told me to call 1-800-NISSAN-1 and check to see if I could get help covering the costs of my transmission repairs from Nissan USA. they all but laughed at me on the phone. My car currently has 123,972 miles on it. It only had 120,000 on it when I bought the car in February of 2019. I feel like the transmission should last longer than 123,972 Miles.My daily commute to work and back home is only 9.5 miles a day. I've only driven the car 3,972 miles since I bought it. I feel like Nissan should replace my CVT Transmission due to something my service advisor and a salesperson at the dealership told me. It seems that Nissan imported CVT Transmissions from Mexico from 2012-2016 and all these CVT transmissions were defective. Nissan then contacted with a manufactorer in China to start making their CVT Transmissions and they got it right. So I have crappy Mexican CVT transmission in my car that doesn't work any longer.

- Eric M., Baton Rouge, US

Sep 122018

Altima S 2.4L

• CVT transmission

Nissan never fixed the CVT transmission problem. You can find complaints of problems up to 2018 + . Extended warranty for this only goes up to 2014. What about the rest of us with 2015 and up models?

- Michael L., Palmetto, FL, US

Jul 012018

Altima S 4 Cy

• CVT transmission

The transmission would stall from taking off from a stop. It didn't send any warning lights. The dealer stated they could not repair it because it didn't send any warnings. I needed to drive it until it failed. Awful idea if the car were to stall in an intersection. I was the only one to drive the car, it was maintained according to service records. The transmission failure is understood to be a common problem with this car. What a waste of time and money.

- Ralph T., Lincoln, CT, US

Feb 242019

Altima S 2.4L 4 cyl

• CVT transmission

This vehicle has had its issues all transmission related. Nissan are a bunch of asshats for not issuing a recall on the 2013-2015 CVT all garbage. I can be flooring the gas and it will not accelerate at some times which is scary especially driving on the highway. How do they sleep at night knowing this trash tech they put in this vehicle is dangerous. It happens daily and I will continue to post this daily from here on out until they do something about it. Never buying another Nissan again. Absolute garbage considering I’ve spent money on doing the proper maintenance in a timely manner. Can’t wait to get rid of this crap or there be a recall.

- Will H., Casselberry, US

Jun 042018

Altima SV 2.5L

• CVT transmission

Happens only in warm/hot weather or long drives, and also in stop and go traffic. Here's what happens: Stopped at a traffic light or stop sign, I would push the gas pedal and nothing would happen for about 5 seconds then it would kick in and accelerate. One hot day in stop and go traffic, I went to accelerate after a stop sign and the car wouldn't go pass 10 miles an hour with the pedal to the floor. I pulled over, shut off the car, and re-started. The car was "normal" again. Next day drove it to the dealer and they diagnosed the problem with a faulty control valve assembly in the transmission. The repair was under warranty, and I had the car back later in the afternoon.

- photocat, Clifton, NJ, US

Mar 022018

Altima SL 2.5L

• CVT transmission

Nissan corporate sent their tech out to look at the car cause the dealer couldn't find any problems. Corporate got there and spent a whole 40 min on checking the computer and said there are no codes so the car is fine. The gas mileage is supposed to be 28 city and 37 highway but we actually get 19/20 city and about 30 highway. The dealership says that's driver habit. I said to take the car for a day and try to get the mileage your stating but they wouldn't. I convinced them to give me an Altima loaner and with that car we got 26.5 mpg city. And it was night and day difference how they shifted and more power. But Nissan refuses to say there is a problem. Now I have no solution. It's been in the shop at least 6 times with no luck. They did say there was a bad valve body in trans with only 25000 miles and they replaced it with no change to trans ot mileage.

- Vin R., Taylors, US

Jul 312018

Altima S 2.5L

My car has no acceleration and dies when I try to start the car. Replaced mass air flow sensor and does same thing.

- Mauro V., Vallejo, US

Dec 092015

Altima SV 2.5L

My 2015 Nissan Altima had a recall for CVT transmission software reprogramming in 2016 and I took it to the Apple Nissan, in which they said it was replaced, along with other recall issues. This happened only when I was stuck in traffic, the car would spell like anti freeze, and won't accelerate. This a definite safety issue, as I could not drive the car and I would have to pull over and stop and restart the car. It is year 3, and it continues with the same issue after 2-4 times of being repaired.

- rsfranklin73, Red Lion, US

Jan 172017

Altima L4 2.5L

• CVT transmission

My 2015 Nissan Altima had a recall for CVT transmission software reprogramming last February in 2017 and I took it in. Previous to this, I would have issues when the car would stutter and get out of gear and keeping revving. This happened only when I was on surface streets, but was a definite safety issues, as I could not drive the car and I would have to pull over and stop and restart the car.

This January, I was getting on a busy freeway in Southern CA with two other people in my vehicle and my fiance was driving the car immediate went out of gear and kept revving. I thought we were going to get hit by another car or killed even. We had to pull over and stop and restart the car. We drove the car further and it happened again and the check engine light came on.

I went to a Nissan dealership to diagnose the car (which I was charged $150 for) and they told me it was a TSB (technical service bulletin regarding the CVT) and best case scenario was a $1400 valve body repair or worst case, $4800 transmission repair. My car was outside the 60,000 mile warranty, so this was on me according to Nissan.

I have owned Japanese cars all my life and never been quoted a 4 figure dollar repair on a car at 75,000 miles. My personal mechanic who only services Japanese cars, said it was ridiculous for any kind of thousand dollar repair at a car that was not even fully three years old and had only 75,000 miles on it. I contacted Nissan No. America with hopes they would help me as this is a definite safety issue. After going through the process of dealing with their consumer reps, I was denied monetary help for repair first and lastly was denied offer to buy back car upon second review with their consumer department. I am beyond pissed and frustrated.

This is a definite safety issue that they have had in the past with Altima and other model Nissans and also Infiniti with their CVT transmissions failing. As I am still making payments on this car, I am stuck at this point. I purchased this car used. I have no idea what I should do because I don't even know if paying to fix valve body or transmission will solve the problem. Nissan does not stand behind their cars or care about their customers' safety.

I will never buy another Nissan again after what I have been through with their service and consumer department at the corporate level.

- Kelley U., Foothill Ranch, CA, US

Jun 012016

Altima SL V6

• CVT transmission

I purchased this 2015 Nissan Altima in 2016. The problem started a week after purchasing. I started noticing that every time I drove under 25 miles, the car would hesitate as though it is not getting enough gas. I’ve been to the Nissan Dealer 3 times with this issue and each time I was told that there was nothing wrong with the car. I took it to two different dealers and was told the same thing. I had the technician to drive the car with me in it and he experienced the problem. He told me that this was normal for the CVT transmission is programmed to save on gas. This is why the car gets good gas mileage. He also said that all the new cars are like this. I didn’t buy this for I have driven other cars and never had this problem. I am going to take my car to an outside mechanic for evaluation for my warranty is still in effect. I am so frustrated. I paid too much for this car and afraid to drive it for fear of it cutting off in traffic when turning a corner or having to drive at speeds under 25 mph.

- Jacqueline H., Jacksonville, US

Aug 182017

Altima SV 4

• CVT transmission

THIS IS A BEAUTIFUL CAR, BUT JUST SOMETIMES VERY SCARY TO DRIVE, DUE TO IT SOMETIMES

DOES NOT ACCELERATE, WHEN YOU ARE AT A STOP LIGHT. WHEN YOU HAVE TO PUT YOUR FOOT ALL THE WAY DOWN ON THE ACCELERATOR AND IT DOES NOT MOVE, WHILE EVERYONE IN BACK OF YOU THINKS YOU'RE NOT AWAKE AT A STOP LIGHT AND ABOUT TO HIT YOU. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF YOU BUY A NISSAN ALTIMA WITH A CV TRANSMISSION...

- Carla V., Tucson, US

Sep 072017

• CVT transmission

very dangerous situation !!!

I was driving the car and suddenly my car would not accelerate. I pushed the gas pedal all the way down and I got very little power, just enough to pull over, mileage 67,000. No warning lights ever came on.

I waited 15 mins and restarted the car and it drove good, it happens sporadically. I spoke to a mechanic at Nissan and he stated,

'if no lights are on, then it is due to the high temperature of the transmission fluid. as the fluid heats, its expands so much that the transmission thinks it has been overfilled which causes these problems. According to Nissan Engineers, all they have to do was lower the level of the CVT Transmission fluid. as for

for why this happens to CVT Transmission unknown. this is a easy fix that your dealer can fix for $387' .....

I was blown away with his answer and I took it to have an transmission flush, I'm hoping this is the end of that! CVT 's are crap.

- Sandra J., West Covina, US

Aug 012016

Altima S 2.5L

When I stop for a red light, and then press the accelerator and it wont even go over 10 mph. I pull over for a second and put the car in park. I try again and same thing occurs.So I pull over and cut off the car. The car seems to have a gear/transmission problem. I can't believe a 2 years old car is having these types of issues.

- Pamela S., Baltimore, MD, US

Apr 052017

Altima S 2.5

• CVT transmission

It seems to only happen in warm weather. Had the car for exactly 1 year. Got it April 2016 now April 2017. When I first got the car it was fine for about a month. Got it used 46k on it, noticed that when I was on a long drive which I do a lot for work, I would be at a red light, it would turn green I would push the gas pedal and nothing would happen for about 5 seconds then it would kick in and take off. Happened about 1 time every 3 days. Then it would be fine. Found a quick solution would be to turn of the car and start it again. Like this most of the summer. When it started to get cold the problem seemed to disappear. All winter no problems none at all! Then it started to warm up and it's happened 2 times in 3 days. No warranty left on the car and can't afford to replace transmission. So I deal with it. Fix it when it breaks I guess...

- Luke J., Brampton, ON, Canada

Mar 152017

• CVT transmission

Had recall to update Trans. Car is terrible when accelerating from 10-40 mph and 3.5 miles per gallon less. It feels like doesn't shift while hesitating until it reaches about 42/44 mph. Dealer says car has no problem and no codes. Car drove excellent until update for 32000 miles now terrible for about 2000 afterwards.

- Leo A., West Melbourne, US

Mar 012017

Altima SL 2.4L

Happens occasionally, Sometimes I am driving and it hesitates for a minute, then resumes

- 1lofton, St. Charles, MO, US

Mar 282017

Altima ES

I recently bought a used 2015 Nissan Altima with 55,000 miles on it at the time if purchase. Within my first week of having it I start having problems. Whenever I'm sitting in traffic too long, it starts hesitating almost every time! No matter how hard I press the gas pedal the car doesn't go over 10 mph. I called Nissan to figure out what recalls were open on my vehicle. And it seems that this issue is now a open recall. I'm hoping it is after seeing so many other complaints on this same issue. Nissan needs to fix this problem for FREE! Another note is I used my AC for the first time and that made it worst. SMH

- Roy L., Aberdeen, MD, US

Dec 282016

Altima

Driving my high anxiety mother to pick up medicine and we go down a hill and the car hesitates. I press the accelerator and it wont even go over 10 mph. I pull over for a second and put the car in park. I try again and same thing occurs and this time I smell smoke. So I pull over and cut off the car. The car seems to have a gear/transmission problem. I cant believe a 1 year old car is having these types of issues. I also experienced the hood latch issue which cause me to lose control of the vehicle on a icy area. Nissan refuses to pay for the damage caused to the car. I will never buy another Nissan again. I will do a lot of research for the next vehicle when I trade this raggedy car in.

- Ethel P., Milwaukee, WI, US

Sep 012016

Altima 4-cyl Engine

• CVT transmission

the Transmission, Jerks/ bounce while driving on low speed and try to stop.

going down hills it makes RRRRR noises very loud.

CVT transmission .... wait till it breaks. are thy F!! kidding me!

Update from Sep 16, 2016: I also have a transmission problem... only have 3500 on it ... Nissan Altima 2015

the all car vibrates . for one year mossy Nissan has not able to fixed the problem.

I cannot take-it anymore

- Ge C., San Diego, CA, US

Jan 282016

Altima V6

I noticed the next day after leasing my 2015 Nissan Altima, that there was something wrong with the transmission. I went back to the dealership and spoke to the salesperson and that sales manager about the issue. They both told me I just wasn't used to the "new" transmission that Nissan has. After a few weeks of feeling this jerking while I was driving, I called the service department at the dealership and brought the car in. I was told nothing was wrong with it. 2 months later, I went back to have the oil changed and complained about the transmission again. They pretty much told me I was crazy and nothing was wrong with it. Did I mention that everyone who rode in the car with me noticed the problem as well? Well, they did.

I kept saying it was either the valve body of the transmission or the transmission itself. Nissan dealership said nothing was wrong. 2 months later and the problem kept getting worse and happening more frequently so I called the service department and made an appointment to bring it in. This time, however, I asked not to have the same service writer who assisted me on previous visits. The man that helped me this go around was much nicer and actually listened to what I was saying. Do you know how frustrating it is to be a female with car problems? Guys look at you like you have no idea how to start a car, let alone drive one. Newsflash, I know a lot about cars. I normally change my own oil, I have repaired anything from spark plugs to head gaskets and so much more. Why? Because I was tired of being taken advantage of when it came to car repairs. Luckily, I have a good friend who is a mechanic and he has let me help him do all my car repairs over the years so I could learn about cars. So, since the car I traded in when I leased this new Altima, recently had transmission problems, I recognized the issue right away. So they take my car in and try replicating the issue. I received a phone call a few hours later saying they can't make it happen. I told them to keep driving. Luckily, they did just that. A few hours later my phone rings and I'm told that it is either the transmission or the valve body. Wow, really?

I spoke to the guy and told him I was positive it was the valve body but wasn't sure if any further damage had occurred to the transmission. It is currently at the dealership awaiting the new valve body to come in from the factory. So I get the pleasure of driving a 4 cyinder, no navigation, cloth seats, etc. for the next week or so. This is my first and last Nissan.

- murrcod, Phoenix, AZ, US