ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2015 Nissan Altima shows multiple problem trends, continuing the poor reputation of the 2013 & 2014 Altima, prompting us to give it our "Beware of the Clunker" badge.

Owners are complaining about transmission problems related to the CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission).

7.3

2. replace valve body (3 reports)
  3. replace transmission (1 reports)
2015 Nissan Altima transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Nissan Altima:

2015 Nissan Altima Owner Comments

Jun 042018

Altima SV 2.5L

• CVT transmission

Happens only in warm/hot weather or long drives, and also in stop and go traffic. Here's what happens: Stopped at a traffic light or stop sign, I would push the gas pedal and nothing would happen for about 5 seconds then it would kick in and accelerate. One hot day in stop and go traffic, I went to accelerate after a stop sign and the car wouldn't go pass 10 miles an hour with the pedal to the floor. I pulled over, shut off the car, and re-started. The car was "normal" again. Next day drove it to the dealer and they diagnosed the problem with a faulty control valve assembly in the transmission. The repair was under warranty, and I had the car back later in the afternoon.

- photocat, Clifton, NJ, USA

Mar 022018

Altima SL 2.5L

• CVT transmission

Nissan corporate sent their tech out to look at the car cause the dealer couldn't find any problems. Corporate got there and spent a whole 40 min on checking the computer and said there are no codes so the car is fine. The gas mileage is supposed to be 28 city and 37 highway but we actually get 19/20 city and about 30 highway. The dealership says that's driver habit. I said to take the car for a day and try to get the mileage your stating but they wouldn't. I convinced them to give me an Altima loaner and with that car we got 26.5 mpg city. And it was night and day difference how they shifted and more power. But Nissan refuses to say there is a problem. Now I have no solution. It's been in the shop at least 6 times with no luck. They did say there was a bad valve body in trans with only 25000 miles and they replaced it with no change to trans ot mileage.

- Vin R., Taylors, US

Jul 312018

Altima S 2.5L

My car has no acceleration and dies when I try to start the car. Replaced mass air flow sensor and does same thing.

- Mauro V., Vallejo, US

Dec 092015

Altima SV 2.5L

My 2015 Nissan Altima had a recall for CVT transmission software reprogramming in 2016 and I took it to the Apple Nissan, in which they said it was replaced, along with other recall issues. This happened only when I was stuck in traffic, the car would spell like anti freeze, and won't accelerate. This a definite safety issue, as I could not drive the car and I would have to pull over and stop and restart the car. It is year 3, and it continues with the same issue after 2-4 times of being repaired.

- rsfranklin73, Red Lion, US

Jan 172017

Altima L4 2.5L

• CVT transmission

My 2015 Nissan Altima had a recall for CVT transmission software reprogramming last February in 2017 and I took it in. Previous to this, I would have issues when the car would stutter and get out of gear and keeping revving. This happened only when I was on surface streets, but was a definite safety issues, as I could not drive the car and I would have to pull over and stop and restart the car.

This January, I was getting on a busy freeway in Southern CA with two other people in my vehicle and my fiance was driving the car immediate went out of gear and kept revving. I thought we were going to get hit by another car or killed even. We had to pull over and stop and restart the car. We drove the car further and it happened again and the check engine light came on.

I went to a Nissan dealership to diagnose the car (which I was charged $150 for) and they told me it was a TSB (technical service bulletin regarding the CVT) and best case scenario was a $1400 valve body repair or worst case, $4800 transmission repair. My car was outside the 60,000 mile warranty, so this was on me according to Nissan.

I have owned Japanese cars all my life and never been quoted a 4 figure dollar repair on a car at 75,000 miles. My personal mechanic who only services Japanese cars, said it was ridiculous for any kind of thousand dollar repair at a car that was not even fully three years old and had only 75,000 miles on it. I contacted Nissan No. America with hopes they would help me as this is a definite safety issue. After going through the process of dealing with their consumer reps, I was denied monetary help for repair first and lastly was denied offer to buy back car upon second review with their consumer department. I am beyond pissed and frustrated.

This is a definite safety issue that they have had in the past with Altima and other model Nissans and also Infiniti with their CVT transmissions failing. As I am still making payments on this car, I am stuck at this point. I purchased this car used. I have no idea what I should do because I don't even know if paying to fix valve body or transmission will solve the problem. Nissan does not stand behind their cars or care about their customers' safety.

I will never buy another Nissan again after what I have been through with their service and consumer department at the corporate level.

- Kelley U., Foothill Ranch, CA, US

Jun 012016

Altima SL V6

• CVT transmission

I purchased this 2015 Nissan Altima in 2016. The problem started a week after purchasing. I started noticing that every time I drove under 25 miles, the car would hesitate as though it is not getting enough gas. I’ve been to the Nissan Dealer 3 times with this issue and each time I was told that there was nothing wrong with the car. I took it to two different dealers and was told the same thing. I had the technician to drive the car with me in it and he experienced the problem. He told me that this was normal for the CVT transmission is programmed to save on gas. This is why the car gets good gas mileage. He also said that all the new cars are like this. I didn’t buy this for I have driven other cars and never had this problem. I am going to take my car to an outside mechanic for evaluation for my warranty is still in effect. I am so frustrated. I paid too much for this car and afraid to drive it for fear of it cutting off in traffic when turning a corner or having to drive at speeds under 25 mph.

- Jacqueline H., Jacksonville, US

Aug 182017

Altima SV 4

• CVT transmission

THIS IS A BEAUTIFUL CAR, BUT JUST SOMETIMES VERY SCARY TO DRIVE, DUE TO IT SOMETIMES

DOES NOT ACCELERATE, WHEN YOU ARE AT A STOP LIGHT. WHEN YOU HAVE TO PUT YOUR FOOT ALL THE WAY DOWN ON THE ACCELERATOR AND IT DOES NOT MOVE, WHILE EVERYONE IN BACK OF YOU THINKS YOU'RE NOT AWAKE AT A STOP LIGHT AND ABOUT TO HIT YOU. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF YOU BUY A NISSAN ALTIMA WITH A CV TRANSMISSION...

- Carla V., Tucson, US

Sep 072017

• CVT transmission

very dangerous situation !!!

I was driving the car and suddenly my car would not accelerate. I pushed the gas pedal all the way down and I got very little power, just enough to pull over, mileage 67,000. No warning lights ever came on.

I waited 15 mins and restarted the car and it drove good, it happens sporadically. I spoke to a mechanic at Nissan and he stated,

'if no lights are on, then it is due to the high temperature of the transmission fluid. as the fluid heats, its expands so much that the transmission thinks it has been overfilled which causes these problems. According to Nissan Engineers, all they have to do was lower the level of the CVT Transmission fluid. as for

for why this happens to CVT Transmission unknown. this is a easy fix that your dealer can fix for $387' .....

I was blown away with his answer and I took it to have an transmission flush, I'm hoping this is the end of that! CVT 's are crap.

- Sandra J., West Covina, US

Aug 012016

Altima S 2.5L

When I stop for a red light, and then press the accelerator and it wont even go over 10 mph. I pull over for a second and put the car in park. I try again and same thing occurs.So I pull over and cut off the car. The car seems to have a gear/transmission problem. I can't believe a 2 years old car is having these types of issues.

- Pamela S., Baltimore, MD, US

Apr 052017

Altima S 2.5

• CVT transmission

It seems to only happen in warm weather. Had the car for exactly 1 year. Got it April 2016 now April 2017. When I first got the car it was fine for about a month. Got it used 46k on it, noticed that when I was on a long drive which I do a lot for work, I would be at a red light, it would turn green I would push the gas pedal and nothing would happen for about 5 seconds then it would kick in and take off. Happened about 1 time every 3 days. Then it would be fine. Found a quick solution would be to turn of the car and start it again. Like this most of the summer. When it started to get cold the problem seemed to disappear. All winter no problems none at all! Then it started to warm up and it's happened 2 times in 3 days. No warranty left on the car and can't afford to replace transmission. So I deal with it. Fix it when it breaks I guess...

- Luke J., Brampton, ON, Canada

Mar 152017

• CVT transmission

Had recall to update Trans. Car is terrible when accelerating from 10-40 mph and 3.5 miles per gallon less. It feels like doesn't shift while hesitating until it reaches about 42/44 mph. Dealer says car has no problem and no codes. Car drove excellent until update for 32000 miles now terrible for about 2000 afterwards.

- Leo A., West Melbourne, US

Mar 012017

Altima SL 2.4L

Happens occasionally, Sometimes I am driving and it hesitates for a minute, then resumes

- 1lofton, St. Charles, MO, USA

Mar 282017

Altima ES

I recently bought a used 2015 Nissan Altima with 55,000 miles on it at the time if purchase. Within my first week of having it I start having problems. Whenever I'm sitting in traffic too long, it starts hesitating almost every time! No matter how hard I press the gas pedal the car doesn't go over 10 mph. I called Nissan to figure out what recalls were open on my vehicle. And it seems that this issue is now a open recall. I'm hoping it is after seeing so many other complaints on this same issue. Nissan needs to fix this problem for FREE! Another note is I used my AC for the first time and that made it worst. SMH

- Roy L., Aberdeen, MD, US

Dec 282016

Altima

Driving my high anxiety mother to pick up medicine and we go down a hill and the car hesitates. I press the accelerator and it wont even go over 10 mph. I pull over for a second and put the car in park. I try again and same thing occurs and this time I smell smoke. So I pull over and cut off the car. The car seems to have a gear/transmission problem. I cant believe a 1 year old car is having these types of issues. I also experienced the hood latch issue which cause me to lose control of the vehicle on a icy area. Nissan refuses to pay for the damage caused to the car. I will never buy another Nissan again. I will do a lot of research for the next vehicle when I trade this raggedy car in.

- Ethel P., Milwaukee, WI, USA

Sep 012016

Altima 4-cyl Engine

• CVT transmission

the Transmission, Jerks/ bounce while driving on low speed and try to stop.

going down hills it makes RRRRR noises very loud.

CVT transmission .... wait till it breaks. are thy F!! kidding me!

Update from Sep 16, 2016: I also have a transmission problem... only have 3500 on it ... Nissan Altima 2015

the all car vibrates . for one year mossy Nissan has not able to fixed the problem.

I cannot take-it anymore

- Ge C., San Diego, CA, USA

Jan 282016

Altima V6

I noticed the next day after leasing my 2015 Nissan Altima, that there was something wrong with the transmission. I went back to the dealership and spoke to the salesperson and that sales manager about the issue. They both told me I just wasn't used to the "new" transmission that Nissan has. After a few weeks of feeling this jerking while I was driving, I called the service department at the dealership and brought the car in. I was told nothing was wrong with it. 2 months later, I went back to have the oil changed and complained about the transmission again. They pretty much told me I was crazy and nothing was wrong with it. Did I mention that everyone who rode in the car with me noticed the problem as well? Well, they did.

I kept saying it was either the valve body of the transmission or the transmission itself. Nissan dealership said nothing was wrong. 2 months later and the problem kept getting worse and happening more frequently so I called the service department and made an appointment to bring it in. This time, however, I asked not to have the same service writer who assisted me on previous visits. The man that helped me this go around was much nicer and actually listened to what I was saying. Do you know how frustrating it is to be a female with car problems? Guys look at you like you have no idea how to start a car, let alone drive one. Newsflash, I know a lot about cars. I normally change my own oil, I have repaired anything from spark plugs to head gaskets and so much more. Why? Because I was tired of being taken advantage of when it came to car repairs. Luckily, I have a good friend who is a mechanic and he has let me help him do all my car repairs over the years so I could learn about cars. So, since the car I traded in when I leased this new Altima, recently had transmission problems, I recognized the issue right away. So they take my car in and try replicating the issue. I received a phone call a few hours later saying they can't make it happen. I told them to keep driving. Luckily, they did just that. A few hours later my phone rings and I'm told that it is either the transmission or the valve body. Wow, really?

I spoke to the guy and told him I was positive it was the valve body but wasn't sure if any further damage had occurred to the transmission. It is currently at the dealership awaiting the new valve body to come in from the factory. So I get the pleasure of driving a 4 cyinder, no navigation, cloth seats, etc. for the next week or so. This is my first and last Nissan.

- murrcod, Phoenix, AZ, USA

Apr 042016

Altima SL V4

car won't accelerate at times after sitting in traffic

2015 Altima SL, purchased in Richmond Virginia, Now in Georgia

1.started about 2 months ago, when sitting in traffic on an incline with the AC on, as I go to accelerate, the car is very hesitant and acts like it does not want to go. No check engine light or any warning lights came on in the dash.This initially happen around the 1st of April, once I drove home, let the car sit for about an hour, I drove it and not a trace of a problem.

2. About a month later, the same thing happen again, still no check engine light. I took it to the dealership, they kept it for 2 days. The said they could not find a problem and I have documentation of this.

3. May 31, I was driving in Atlanta traffic, After about 45 mins, my car was very hesitant, I gave it gas and it would not go over 40 mph. RPM was up to 7 and it still would not pass 40. I was almost hit by a truck because it happen in the middle of an intersection. I was scared to death. Thank God, I made it home. When I got home, I let the car sit for an hour, drove it around the neighborhood and now it drives perfect. Will take it back to the dealer today for service. What is this issue? Does anybody know? Stuff like this could get someone killed in a horrible accident!!

- Tammy G., MARIETTA, GA, USA

Jun 082015

Altima S

In 2013, I bought a new 2013 Nissan Rogue SL. Top of the line model with leather seats etc. Within a year's time, we had to have the transmission replaced. One of the service techs at the dealership told us that transmissions had been defective. In 2015 I traded in the Rogue for a 2015 Nissan Altima. Before I hit 1000 miles, I began to notice the same tugging that we noticed on our Rogue before the transmission failed. I have researched Nissan transmissions and have read that this is a widespread problem,

- Lucio A., Edinburg, USA

Oct 312014

Altima SL 3.5L

• CVT transmission

Drove this car off showroom floor…brand new. Within a few a weeks of purchase, noticed it hesitating some when accelerating at slow speeds. Hardly noticeable at first. Took it to into dealership for oil change and mentioned it to person in service department. He said, “oh that’s that transmission they put in those cars these days. It’ll do that”. (CVT)

They put it on the diagnostics and everything came out ok. They told me there wasn’t anything wrong with my car. Few months later, still hesitating on acceleration, take it in for another oil change. Told them the same thing as before and they responded the same. Put in on the diagnostics, nothing wrong. Ok fine.

By the time I have 20k miles on this car, the problem is getting worse, often times feeling like the bottom is going to fall out of my car. In the meantime, the dealership where I purchased the car, had sold their Nissan franchise (smart move on their part), so I take it to the new Nissan dealership…in a far more inconvenient location. Had to rent a car for the day because they were unable to tell me how long they would need it to diagnose the problem.

Late in the afternoon, they leave a message saying that my car is ready. Drop off the rental on the way there. When I get to the dealership, they tell me there isn’t anything wrong with my car. Diagnostics check out fine. I insisted that there is something wrong with it and then they had a technician ride along with me around the block. Within 2 minutes, he says, yeah, there’s something wrong with it. He then tells me I’d have to leave it so they can do a graph of what the transmission is doing. By this time, it is late in the day, I’d already taken the rental back, etc. and I was pissed because it took 2 minutes for them to figure out that, yeah, my car is f*cked up, after telling me for months that it was fine. I then call another Nissan dealership that is a little closer to me and far more convenient to get to. Explain to them what I’d been told, make an appointment to take it in. They tell me it shouldn’t take long, so I sit in the lobby…..for 2 hours! THEN…they have the audacity to tell me that there isn’t anything wrong with my car!!!! “Diagnostics checked out fine” I told them I wasn’t leaving until someone got their head out of their ass and figured out what was wrong with my car.

So again, a technician rides around the block with me….with in 2 minutes, he says yeah, something isn’t right. Ya think Sherlock??? So I get a loaner, they keep the car. That evening, they tell me they’d made a graph of the transmission, sent it off to Nissan and Nissan has agreed to replace the transmission. Tell me that the transmission they’re going to put in my car “has all new parts but the casing is refurbished” …AND it only has a 12k warranty…but I’ll still have the balance of my factory warranty…as if that alone should appease me. Of course, it’ll take a few days to get it in and they’ll call me.

In the meantime, I call Nissan and complain that I’m not happy that they want to put in some half-ass transmission in my car because I’d essentially bought a car with a faulty transmission, that it wasn’t right when I bought it, but none of their computer-dependent technicians could figure it out. I wanted one that should’ve been put in the car to begin with…with a 60k mile warranty. I told them that if they couldn’t give me a brand new transmission, which is what I paid for to begin with, I at least wanted an extended warranty on the one they’re giving me…..or they can take the car back.

Long story short…they sent my request to “arbitration”…and in the end…..denied me everything. No repurchase of my car, no brand new transmission, no extended warranty. They replaced my transmission with a half-ass transmission and a 12k mile warranty. Nissan DOES NOT STAND BEHIND the product that they sell. In hindsight, I should’ve done more research before buying a Nissan. It’s my first, and it will be my last. I paid $35k for this car, put $15k down, and now the trade-in value is $19-21k…and I’ve owned the car LESS THAN A YEAR! I’ve pissed away $15k just by buying a lousy Nissan. Never again.

- libcynic, Martinsville, IN, USA

May 302015

Altima SV 4 cyl

• CVT transmission

Our 2015 Nissan Altima SV, with less than 100 miles on it, began to hesitate/sputter when we accelerated to highway speeds. It happened EVERYTIME we got on the highway! We took our car into the dealership, they test drove the car & noted that the car did indeed sputter when accelerating to higher speeds. They attributed the sputtering to the car to being new & the computer getting "used to our driving patterns". REALLY?!?!? We were asked to drive the car until the 1st oil change, at 6000 miles and inform them then, if the problem continued!! We just took our car on a 700 mile trip & sure enough, THE PROBLEM CONTINUES!!! The car is going into the shop!!! Does anyone else have this acceleration problem with their car?

- rp138, Stockton, CA, USA