CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2016 Altima seems relatively trouble-free at low mileage.

However with a long history of CVT transmission problems, we are reserving judgment until more of these Altimas near the typical 100,000 mile mark where the CVT transmission problems kick in.

8.5

$4,390

1. replace transmission (14 reports)
  3. transmission rebuild (3 reports)
  4. replace cvt sub assy (1 reports)
2016 Nissan Altima transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Nissan Altima:

2016 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jul 022019

Altima LX V6

• CVT transmission

We were returning from a family vacation in Florida and the car stopped accelerating. Nissan had to replace the entire transmission.

- Bridget D., Poplarville, MS, US

Jul 192019

• CVT transmission

I've only had this car for almost 9 months. After I dropped my 3yr old daughter off I noticed the car jerking and shaking as I drove. I thought it was strange so I called my husband to ask him is the car safe to drive. It started to jerk more and hesitate when you hit the gas. He said it sounds like my transmission, take the car to Pep Boys and have a diagnostic done, while he calls a good friend of his that used to work at a Nissan dealership. I make it to a repair place and they say it sounds like your transmission is going bad. I get a quote of possibly $4500-$5,000 to repair it. I contact my the place I purchased the car from and then the warranty company. The warranty company advised me to take it to a dealer immediately.

As I was driving to the dealer, the car completely stalled on the interstate in Georgia during rush hour traffic. I was almost rear ended by a tractor trailer and numerous cars. After a few minutes if pressing on the gas with no luck, the car started. I continued to drive as my GPS said I was 5 minutes from the dealership and the damn car stops again and I am almost rear ended again. I can see the dealership but cannot get the car to move as I am pressing on the gas.

The car finally starts and I make it to the dealership parking lot before it shuts off again. This happened on Friday, July 19, 2019. I got a call on Saturday, July 20, 2019 saying that they are going to have to rebuild the transmission. I contacted the company I purchased the car from to inform them that they will have to give me a trade in. I refuse to keep this car.

I could have been killed. I have never been so afraid as I was this day when the car just shut off on the highway during rush hour traffic. I will NOT put my 3yr old child in this car ever again, IT IS UNSAFE. I am seeing so many complaints about this same issue. It would have been nice if Nissan would realize these transmissions are dangerous and they could get someone killed. I never want to drive this car again.

- Marissa R., Decatur, GA, US

May 012019

• CVT transmission

Purchased the 2016 Nissan Altima in May of 2018. The car never seemed to pickup speed when trying to accelerate in traffic. Around March or April of 2019 the car started to accelerate on its own and started to jerking and seem to feel like the car is losing power when stopped at a red light or etc. The morning of May 8, 2019 while driving to work the car jerking had gotten to the point where I didn't know if the car would stop or not. I immediately turned the car around and went back home.

Scheduled an appointment with the Nissan dealer the next day. While at the dealership I was told that it was the transmission. The car was there from May 9 until May 16th. When I picked up the vehicle, the paperwork states that it was necessary to replace CVT Sub Assy. Also replaced Transmission and other work that pertains to replacing transmission.

The car seemed to drive okay after that. Then again, a few weeks has passed and it seems as though the car is starting to repeat some of the same problems, as stated before. Acceleration and a little puttering.

I will keep an eye on these issues and hope that all will be well.

Letitia Woulard

Chicago, Illinois 60419

- Letitia W., Chicago, IL, US

Apr 172019

• CVT transmission

I would not consider buying a Nissan with this type of transmission, and me and my family have always owned Nissan until now. I just bought this car and signed papers and it went out the next week literally. Took it to a dealership because it was acting like it didn't want to accelerate and they said transmission was bad and it would be 5,000. We were on vacation so its sitting in another state. Just made my first payment and have no car!!!

- Veronica V., Carrollton, US

Apr 192019

Altima SR 2.5L I4

• CVT transmission

WHILE IN MOTION GOING FREEWAY SPEEDS, VEHICLE SUDDENLY LOSES POWER AND JUTTERS WHEN ATTEMPTING TO MAINTAIN CRUISING SPEED AND RPMS FLUCTUATED INTENSELY UP AND DOWN. FELT VERY UNSAFE WHILE TRYING TO PULL OVER TO THE SHOULDER AND FEARED OTHER VEHICLES COULD HAVE STRUCK ME WHILE HAVING NO CONTROL OVER VEHICLE SPEED.

BROUGHT VEHICLE INTO NISSAN DEALERSHIP AND CONFIRMED IT IS AN ISSUE WITH CVT TRANSMISSION REQUIRING $4K CVT TRANSMISSION SUB-ASSEMBLY REPLACEMENT, LUCKILY COVERED UNDER 5 YEAR, 60K MILE WARRANTY. THIS ISSUE SEEMS COMMON WITH OTHER OWNERS OF THE CVT TRANSMISSION AND NISSAN SHOULD HAVE ITS POWER TRAIN CVT TRANSMISSION WARRANTY EXTENDED ON NEWER MODELS TO 10 YEARS, 120,000 MILES JUST LIKE THE 2003-2010 YEAR MODELS WITH THE CVT HAVE RECEIVED.

- Tony H., Elk Grove, US

Nov 302018

Altima SR

I bought this car new and last November started having some transmission problems. I do a lot of highway driving, but I noticed if I was in stop and go traffic, the transmission would start to give me problems. Once I struggled to go up a hill but it finally started to correct itself. Even the engine light appeared, but went off later that day. I was getting rid of the car, so I never went to have it checked out.

- Paul G., Haverford, PA, US

Apr 012019

• CVT transmission

I bought my 2016 Nissan Altima only a year ago from the dealership with extended warranty included. For the most part, it had been wonderful. Anyway, when I started and drove the car on Sunday, I was not able to accelerate it. I got to the highest speed of 10MPH. No matter how hard I pressed on the gas pedal, it would not drive more than 10MPH. I used my OBD2 code reader and found that there were two OBD2 codes: P2101 and P507. When brought to the dealership, they told me that the transmission need to be replaced. I was so upset since the car is only ~30K. Even though the repair will be covered by standard warranty, I expect such a problem would not exist for such mileage.

- traucon@yahoo.com, Egg Harbor Township, US

Mar 262019

Altima SD

I purchased this car NEW in 2016. I have not had it 3 years, and I am now replacing the WHOLE transmission. I have been without a car for almost a week now, and trying to commute to work has been a real hassle in the city. There are NO recalls and the salesman doesn't even work for the dealership anymore. The dealership says they have no association with the issue. There's no reason a 2 year old car should need the transmission replaced. I'm already dealing with plenty of bills, and this is just the cherry on top. Be a successful adult and go out on your own. Buy our great car, then use all your savings and more to run it! BS!

- Emily B., Kansas City, MO, US

Jan 242019

• CVT transmission

Just so happened to happen on my way to Florida to visit family. I was about an hour and a half from home, and it started to studder. But it was windy that day so I misinterpreted the stutter until the check engine light came on. I pulled over and called my boyfriend who’s a certified VW tech. He instructed me to find the nearest Autozone and call him with the code. When I did it was a “Transmission fluid level low” code. He told me to take it to the Nissan dealer because it’s a sealed CVT transmission and there is no way to just add fluid to it. About 15 mins into taking it to my Nissan dealer it went into what he called “safe mode” and stopped driving. He called Nissan and arranged the tow, where I waited in a local businesses parking lot for two and a half hours until the tow truck arrived. Luckily the lady waited for me at Nissan. The rental she gave me I couldn’t take to Florida, so I was still forced to borrow my fathers car. It wasn’t finished until a few days after I got back. Luckily the warranty covered it and I did t have to come out of pocket for anything.

- Devon M., Belmont, US

Mar 092019

• CVT transmission

Despite being on our 3trd transmission in our Pathfinder which has under 70,000 Miles, we bought a 2016 Altima. Here we were on the highway 2hrs from home middle of winter, nothing around. Car won't go over 40MPH. Then it revs to 7000RPM and takes off like a shot. At lights there is almost zero movement, had to turn hazards on every light and cars behind were not happy. Made it back safely but with a lot of stress.

Took it in and yes, it needs a transmission. Nissan dealer also told us that it's due for an air cabin filter and suggested a brake fluid flush.

- Prenot T., Ottawa, ON, Canada

Nov 052018

Altima SL

• CVT transmission

This is my son's car and he bought it with 40,000 miles on it last year. Because of his budget, he couldn't afford the extended warranty. He drives back and forth to work which is a little over 100 miles per day and goes to pick up his fiancé and daughter on most weekends which is 200 miles round trip. He started having problems last week after he had dropped off his fiancé and daughter. His miles are a little over 80,000 miles and the check engine light was on. He said that the car was going slower. He had went from 70 mph to 40 mph on Interstate 20 which his foot was all the way to the floor to keep it at 40. The RPMs were also high but the car would still not move.

Once he got the vehicle parked, I tried using my obd II reader which it could not pick up any codes. I took it to O'Reilly Auto Parts to use their obd II reader and their scanner could not read it but said that it was definitely something electric going on. My son took it to Nissan and they gave a code of P17F0 which is JVT Judder- faulty cvt assembly, cvt harness is open or shorted, cvt circuit poor electrical connection. Nissan said that the transmission had to be replaced for $4000 to $5000.

I got another code from Autozone today of P0841-transmission fluid pressure sensor/switch. I called Nissan and they said that they do not sell sensor/switches for the cvt transmissions and that the whole transmission would have to be replaced. In my own personal opinion, this is utter bullshit and something needs to be done about this company and their bad transmissions. I'm trying to spread the word about their transmissions to everybody that I see with one or is planning to buy one. At my job, the word is already out and we usually buy Nissan vehicles through a dealer discount program.

- Malcolm F., Shreveport, US

Jan 012019

• CVT transmission

2 years old and at 60000 miles. These issues should not be happening. This should be a recall. Of course no one tells you about it when you're buying.

- Bill F., Modesto, CA, US

Feb 042019

Altima 2.5L

click to see larger images

transmission failure

How is this possible? HOW? A two year and some months old car having transmissions issues?! I had first noticed the sudden surge in acceleration and stalling when the car was at 9,000 miles. NINE THOUSAND! I commute to work via freeway 6 days a week and have gone on 1 road trip. This can not be okay! This should NOT be okay and Nissan can NOT continue to ignore and not recall these shotty transmissions!

I was at a stop about to exit the driveway of a shopping center when my car lurched forward on its own while I had my foot on the break. Thank goodness no car was coming onto the first lane as it was during traffic hours where everyone is racing to get home. I was frustrated even more because 1. Safety issue 2. Its a new car dammit 3. I had my 2 children in the car. I got on to the first lane and then onto the second only for the car to jerk and hesitated to drive and the RPMs went from 1500 to 4000 on its own! I barely tapped the gas pedal for it to try to use that much power. As soon as it did that, I felt the whole car shake and the Check Engine light came on. I thought that my car was about to die right then and there in the middle of the street. I have been taking the car to be serviced on schedule and just had the 50k service in December. I can not wait to see what the dealership is going to say about this now.

Update from Feb 8, 2019: Update now that I have my car back. I was informed it was an Air Fuel Ratio sensor issue which causes the vehicle to run less efficiently, idles poorly and acts erratic/jerking. They said multiple codes were found but was never given actual codes to do my own research. They replaced the Air Fuel Ratio sensor (which to me sounds like a quick fix with the underlying issue bound to creep up again) and PCV valve and replaced the grill shutter. They also suggested I change the fuel injectors and transmission fluid HOWEVER the I had the transmission fluid changed in December of 2018! I don't know what is going on with these cars but it looks like Nissan needs to get their stuff together. I hear a recall coming SOON.

Update from Mar 20, 2019: UPDATE TO THE UPDATE. . . and only a month later. Took my car in today to the dealership and was informed that I need a new transmission. Fantastic Sarcasm Thankfully I have extended warranty.

Update from Aug 21, 2019: Update to the updated update: I came to find out that I did not infact receive a new transmission, but received a partial rebuilt. Wow. Liars and partially fixing a major issue. I will be contacting Nissan HQ at this point.

- Dia G., Walnut, CALIFORNIA, US

Dec 172018

Altima 2.5L

• CVT transmission

THIS CAR HAS A CVT TRANSMISSION WHICH NISSAN IS KNOW OF THE PROBLEM FOR SOME TIME NOW AND WAS EVEN FORCED TO PUT EXTENDED WARRANTY ON THEIR CVT TRANSMISSIONS FROM 2002 TO 2007. HAVE HAD NOTHING BUT COMPLAINTS ON THIS TRANSMISSIONS SINCE MY CAR WAS SERVICED BY NISSAN EVERY SINGLE TIME ITS BEEN IN FOR ANYTHING. THE TRANSMISSION IS SHOT AND THEY'RE TELLING ME THAT THERE IS NO RECALL ON THIS YEAR TRANSMISSION. ITS THE SAME TRANSMISSION THAT IS SCREWING UP. I WILL NOT EVER GO BACK TO A NISSAN IF I CAN HELP IT. JUNK JUNK JUNK JUNK

- Michael W., Oliver Springs, US

Dec 172018

• CVT transmission

2-year old Altima with primarily highway miles needs an entirely new transmission. Dealership said I should reach out to Nissa North America. Nissan reviewed the case for 3 weeks without any updates or questions, then says they will cover half of the replacement cost. They say that is the best they can do as a courtesy because it is over the 60,000-mile warranty. Dealership quoted the repair at $4,500, so $2,250 out of pocket for a 2-year-old car. This is ridiculous.

- Paul J., Southfield, MI, US

Oct 032018

• CVT transmission

My 2016 Nissan Altima would just turn off while I was on the highway, or driving anywhere for that matter. It would just turn itself off and then on. I caught it and took it right away to dealer, but the dealership took forever to actually diagnose the issue and to fix it. I STILL DON'T HAVE THE CAR BACK. They said they had to replace the transmission assembly. This is unacceptable for an almost 2-year old car. The car had only hit 27,000 miles when these problems started.

I don't understand why Nissan keeps making awful CVT transmissions and don't even have a recall on them yet. THEY OBVIOUSLY CAN'T MAKE A RELIABLE CVT TRANSMISSION.

Now I have to try and trade my car in eventually so it doesn't totally fail on me when my warranty runs out. DO NOT BUY A NEW NISSAN. THEY ARE FRAUDS!!!!!!!!!

- Lisa S., Tacoma, WA, US

Nov 152018

Altima SL 2.5L

• CVT transmission

Brought my car into dealership on 11/15/18 and told them that my car was bogging down, sputtering etc....they did a diagnostic for problems and lo and behold, it was my 2016 CVT Transmission which I now have found out there was a recall on but I was never notified. According to Nissan the 2017 now have a 3rd generation CVT transmission, but my faith in Nissan to notify customers in a timely fashion has diminished.

I am 4,000 miles away from the 60,000 mile power train coverage and was lucky I didn't ignore the symptoms.

What would have Nissan said to me if this happened at 60001 miles? Oh, sorry and you owe $4,000. I have owner 4 Nissan Altima's and was looking forward to a 2020...might have to rethink this....

- ilene, Debary, US

Jul 172018

Altima SV 2.5L

I brought my Nissan Altima SV November 11, 2016. I also purchased the extended warranty...Thank GOD! I drive from Pennsylvania to New Jersey everyday for work. My ride is 1 hour 20 minutes to work and the same amount of time from work. I put approximately 180 miles round trip. All miles is straight highway mileage, no city driving as my job is located on a major highway. I service my car at the dealership on a regular to make sure everything is ok.

On July 16, 2018, I was on my way from work. I had to make a stop so I took highway 22 in New Jersey that leads into highway 78. I was on NJ Highway 22 which happens to have lights. I was at a stop light and when I went to step on the gas to go forward, my car started hesitating, then would not accelerate. I turned the car off, then back on and it gave a jolt before I was able to drive; however, when I came to the next light, which was approximately 100 feet, it did the same thing.

I was able to pull off the road, turn the car off, and restart the car again and it drove until I went up an incline. The car would not accelerate, so I had to cut the car off and then cut it back on before it would move. I drove this car like this all the way into Pennsylvania. The next morning it did the same thing as I was exiting to go to the dealership. Once in the dealership, after the diagnostics, they said the transmission had to be replaced. I was pissed. Thank God for the extended warranty as it would have cost me over $5000 grand to fix. My car was ready for pick up Friday morning 7-20-18.

After reviewing the complaints, I see Nissan has not corrected their CVT transmission problems. This seems to be an ongoing problem year after year with this particular car. How is it that some dealerships can fix a problem and others can't! This problem was in their 2013, 2014, 2015 Altimas. You would think by 2016, they would have gotten it right. What good is beauty on the outside when the inside is messed up! There is a pattern with this car! Approaching 100,000 miles, the transmission has to be replaced. That's a BIG PROBLEM!!! As much money as these cars cost, sticker price $28K, they should last, longer than 100k miles! BTW, I got a rebuilt transmission with only 12,000 mile warranty. That warranty will expire in 2 months because of the driving I do. I love Nissan! This is my 2nd Altima. I had a 2005 Nissan Altima, which was car of the year! however, if I have another transmission problem, BYE Nissan! This is how you lose customers!

Also, why hasn't the mileage not moved from 12K/36K Bumper to Bumper to at least 15K/45K per year Bumper to Bumper as far as warranty is concerned? Everything has gone up over the past 20 years except the mileage when you purchase new cars? WHY??? Just Curious! Curiosity killed the cat, but it was satisfaction that brought him back!

- mscritique60, Macungie, US

Jul 032018

Altima 2.5L/S/Sv/Sl/Sr

I purchased the vehicle in November of 2017 and it had 44967 miles. This is July 2018 and the transmission has gone out. This is unacceptable.

- Alethea J., Macomb, MI, US

May 252018

Altima S 2.5L 4 Cly

• CVT transmission

60,000 miles factory warranty seems very low. Of course mine has 62,000 miles when it goes out. Most likely finished with Nissan cars or at least with the CVT.

- Jay B., Kevil, KY, US