2. replace transmission (1 reports)
2017 Nissan Altima transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2017 Nissan Altima:

2017 Nissan Altima Owner Comments

May 022021

Altima SL 3.5L V6

• CVT transmission

The accelerator just stopped responding in the middle of a drive - imagine flooring the accelerator while the car is switched off, nothing happens right? Exactly what happened with me. Luckily it happened on an empty street and I could move the car to a side. The accelerator responded in Park or Neutral mode but not in Drive mode. I switched the car off and it would not start again.

The dealer heard me out, not willing to believe it could be a major issue; jump started the car and it was driving without any issues.

A week later, the same happened, this time worse because it was in the middle of traffic with my 3-year old daughter at the back and it was in the middle of day (40 degrees Celsius). Switched the car off, switched it on again, able to drive for another 5 minutes before the accelerator stopped responding again. Now the car wouldn't switch on. Eventually the car went back to the dealer, again, not willing to conclude that there is a major issue; checked the battery and the reader said it needed replacing so that was duly done and the car drove without any issues.

Two days later, it happened again. Luckily, we had just entered our driveway, switched car off, switched it on again but the accelerator wouldn't respond. Left the car for a few days (public holiday) and then switched it on and it drove without issues so I took it straight to the dealer. It's with the dealer now for the last couple of days, supposed to visit in the morning to see if they have come to any conclusion as to what the problem is.

It's been frustrating because it's taken 3 visits for the problem to be taken seriously, and on the third visit it was suggested that I take the car back and drive until the problem occurs again so they can gauge how many days it takes for the problem to recur! Never mind the safety hazard that this problem comes with! Anyway, I told them there was no way I'm taking this car back until the problem is diagnosed or resolved.

- Omar K., Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

Mar 142017

Altima SV 2.5

• CVT transmission

At 2912 miles, my 2017 Altima SV with 2.5L 4cyl was taken to the dealership for unusual shifting. Acted almost like a 4 speed automatic rather than the other 2 Nissan CVT transmission equipped Altimas I owned (2010 and 2013). Mechanic checked fluid level which was too high from factory, then test drove it. Dealership said it barely made it back to the shop. Computer codes revealed some sort of solenoid was malfuntioning and the entire transmission had to be replaced. When I got the car back, drove it home...center console shifter didn't feel right. Parked the car and got a "Key Error" on the dash. Shut off the car and it wouldn't start. Messed with shifter for awhile and got it started, but then wouldn't go into reverse. Reverse camera on when in Park. Turns out they routed the shifter cable incorrectly. Final straw was they got grease stains on my driver's seat and when they tried to clean it off, made it 100 times worse. I was finally able to clean the stains off the seat with considerable effort. My 2013 Altima at around 30,000 right after they changed the fluid never did seem to shift correctly thereafter.

- Lee F., Carrollton, TX, US