2017 Nissan Altima transmission problems: transmission failure

Transmission Failure

2017 Nissan Altima

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Nissan dealer.

8.0

$3,950

1. replace cvt transmission (5 reports)
  2. replace transmission (3 reports)
  4. rebuilt transmission (1 reports)
2017 Nissan Altima transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2017 Nissan Altima:

2017 Nissan Altima Owner Comments

Apr 142020

Altima SR 2.5L

• CVT transmission

I financed a NISSAN ALTIMA SR on 07/2020 a year later the car started making weird shaking and vibrations while driving and especially in park. HIGHLY DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS CAR FOR LONG - TERM. THEY DO NOT LAST. Very disappointing!!!! This car left me stranded 2 days ago and took it to the dealership where i financed it from and they are charging me for a new transmission?!!. And nissan are crooks because they have a lot of lawsuits against them for this same issue which is why they extended the warranty BUT your car wont last until after the 60000 warranty(my car is 70000) which sucks since they EXPECT YOU TO PAY OUT OF POCKET. Anyone in the same LIMBO needs to call the Nissan Corporation Affairs1-800-647-7261 you probably have better luck that way .If a Nissan dealership does NOT want to help do not waste your time with them if they are charging you up for a transmission replacement. I didnt even drive to the dealership I waited until they CALLED with the diagnostic results ,the next day I received the ( CHARGE CALL) I then called Nissan Affairs for help. Not my fault they made a sucky transmission for these vehicles!! 1-800-647-7261

- Roxana M., Houston, TX, US

Jun 152019

Altima SV 3.2L

• CVT transmission

2017 CVT Transmission is a piece of Junk. You are driving on the highway at 65 miles per hour and the car just start jerking and slow down and sometimes cuts off and you put have to push start it before it will move. It also stalls at a light and you have to start it again. PLEASE DISCONTINUE CVT TRANSMISSION, IT IS GOING TO CAUSE SOMEONE TO REALLY GET HURT OR DIE. NISSAN NEEDS TO RECALL THIS TRANSMISSION AND REFUND MY MONEY!!

- Diane O., Snellville, GA, US

Mar 242019

Altima 2.5L

• CVT transmission

While on a trip, the transmission failed which almost caused an accident. The car would no longer accelerate. I was able to drift off the road to an exit and into a park and ride, but almost got stuck crossing a side road trying to get to the park and ride. Nissan should be embarrassed that a transmission would fail in a 2017 model with only 20K miles.

- jazzysfw, Frederick, US

Mar 012019

Altima SL 3.5L V6

• CVT transmission

2017 Atlima CVT died at 45K miles. We were fortunate. Others might not be.

Dealership slapped certified pre-owned warranty on 2017 Altima without proper inspection. We were shopping for a vehicle that was in great condition and one that would last us long. We paid the premium for the warranty. We were led to believe that the certified tests placed the car in better standing than the other Altimas on the lot. SCAM! The warranty may cover any fixes but it does not help knowing that we have a car that is unreliable and will likely give us more headaches in the future. So even though it looks like the warranty covered this 1st fix, I paid for it in a way. Thanks Nissan for agreeing to fix your garbage vehicle for the rest of my ownership.

I did ask the dealer to take the car back on the basis that they did not thoroughly inspect the car before labeling it as a certified pre-owned vehicle. The dealer agreed to offer a different car. Two days later changed their mind.

- Sher B., Lawrenceville, US

Jan 302019

Altima

Freaking Transmission at 30,000 miles!!! I was driving between 20-35 miles per hour. My car suddenly jerked 3 times; scaring the Hell out of me! I later started to incline (go up) a hill; I then noticed that my car LOST POWER! Once I stopped at a stoplight; my car would NOT MOVE!!! Nissan's solution was to rebuild the transmission. That also scares me. I'd rather have a new transmission. My fear is, will I have problems once the rebuild transmission 12,000 miles expires.

- Shomonda J., Garland, US

May 242018

Altima SR 2.5L

• CVT transmission

By far the Nissan Altima is the worst vehicle I have owned. This was my first brand new car and i thought that Nissans were good cars. NOPE, wrong. I have had nothing but trouble, even the dealership told me that they have to replace these CVT Transmissions a lot. then tried to sell me another one.....NO THANKS....you can happily buy this one back but I don't want another one. It started with just a miss every now and then, then on the way to the dealership - the check engine light came on. The dealership advised that they couldn't do anything until after the Holiday (this was Friday before Memorial Weekend) and the very next morning, at a red light, with my kids in the car, it would not move. I tried flooring it and it barely rolled. I got it to the side and had to get it towed. Had to have a new transmission. Now here it is 7 months later and headed back to the dealership for the same problems.......GREAT

- jpollett, Roberta, US

Oct 012018

Altima ALT Alt 2:5s

Car that is a year old with 17,179 miles on it and the transmission has to be replaced. Scared the sh*t out of me when I was driving and it made a loud sound and jerked me really bad. I owed a pre-owned vehicle before this that was six years old was three years old when I bought it traded it in for a brand new one and after a year I have this problem never had a problem with Nissan vehicles the last seven years and now this. Granted I am getting it fixed under the warranty but like they say once a major part is replaced like a transmission it’ll never run the same as it did before and it’s only a-year-old. A little disappointed and upset because I’m paying a lot of money for this car.

- Elice M., Chicago, IL, US

Jun 162018

Altima SV 4

• CVT transmission

I purchased a brand new 2017 Nissan Altima SV July 1, 2017 and on June 16, 2018 my car would not drive if you put it in drive or reverse. I had to get the car towed back to the dealer. On June 18, 2018 they called to tell me I had to get a new transmission. I am so disappointed that this has happened. I am happy it is covered under warranty; however, I rather get out of this car. Nissan need to repurchase this car back. I want a reliable car that is not going to leave me stranded on the side of the road with 12,800 mile. Are there any other problems with 2017 Nissan Altima?

- Ladawn J., COLUMBIA, MD, US

Apr 132018

Altima S 2.5L

BOUGHT 2017 ALTIMA S 3/21/18 DID NOT MAKE FIRST PAYMENT YET, AND CVT TRANSMISSION HAD CODE PO841 AFTER HAD P.C UP DATE AT DEALER. TOOK CAR BACK TO DEALER THEY TRY TO FIX, BUT HAD TO REPLACE CVT. PROBLEM WAS VIBRATION SHUDDERING WHEN PULL OFF FROM LIGHT. THAT'S WHY I BROUGHT CAR TO DEALER, DON'T KNOW IF UPDATE HAD ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT. WILL BE PICKING CAR UP TODAY. HAVE 15000 MILE POWER TRAIN WARRANTY LEFT ....NISSAN SHOULD EXTEND WARRANTY ON 2017 PROBLEM SEEMS TO BE REPEATING NO MATTER WHAT YEAR.

- Hugh F., Boynton Beach, US

Jan 112018

Altima SV V4

• CVT transmission

I have had three Altimas 2017, 2015 and a 2012. This is the only one that makes this noise while driving. It occurs between 1700 and 2100 rpms. Also this car receives the lowest gas mileage of the three.

- Ace X., Brunswick, US

Dec 022017

Altima S 2.5L

• CVT transmission

I've recently purchased new 2017 Altima S trim. This car is yet to reach 1k mileage. The issue that I am experiencing is an annoying/constant droning coming from the car when hitting anywhere between 1700 to 2000 RPM's. The car does it while accelerating or decelerating...all within that RPM threshold. Imagine driving over those small rumble strips on the roads...that's the best I can compare it to.

I took the car to the dealer and the technician also took a test drive and was able to feel the issue I was talking about. He gave an explanation that this is how a normal CVT works. They are not ready to accept this as an issue.

Anyone else facing similar issue, please share your comments/suggestions.

Thank you.