2018 Nissan Altima brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2018 Nissan Altima:

2018 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Sep 062020

Altima

When trying to push start the brakes feel hard and unable to push down so the push start will work. Have to play with the brake pedal in order for it to go down and able to start the car.

- Mechanicsville, VA, USA

Sep 012020

Altima

The automatic emergency braking (aeb) system stops working. The dashboard message says the front sensors are being obstructed but they are not. This seems to be a widespread issue with this sensor on Nissan vehicles.

- Woodhaven, NY, USA

Aug 032020

Altima

Automatic breaking will shut off for about 5 minutes on occasion; especially when turning towards an embankment (I.e. making a left turn and there's an island there).

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Aug 042020

Altima

Since I purchased this 2018 Altima (I had previously driven a 2016 Altima without aeb), I have gotten false positives from the front sensor, stopping my car at random times in clear day light traffic, on dry pavement, with no leaves or other road debris. Front sensor has continuously reported the "front sensor not available" alert multiple times in my cars short lifetime, followed by the crash icon at random times of the days, and all speeds including in the stopped position. The sensor goes out regardless or whether there are other vehicles around. I reported these issues beginningin October 2018 (the same month I purhcased my car). No Nissan vehicle should be equipped with the technology where driver's had no clue when the vehicles will come to a halt and lock without warning. This commonly happens when there are cars around me and there is a change in speed (anticipated or nto), which is common in la. My front sensor has malfunctioned several times and engaged the brakes, several times while driving on the freeway at 50mph. My car also seems to lug at times when I brake from a distance and normally which concerns me. I have reported this issues to technicians and had the brakes checked with no problems found so I have had no choice but to wait for the issues with my brakes and car to compile. The owner's manual admits aeb systems do "not function in all driving, traffic, weather, and road conditions" but the manual leaves out the part about how the systems can cause vehicles to suddenly stop even when no objects are in the driving lane. I originally reported this issue to steve yaeger on October 19, 2018--the same month I purchased the vehicle. Have brought in my vehicle into to Nissan various times in the first 3 months but technicians always told me there is nothing they can do and just shake off my concerns/try to give explanations.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jul 192020

Altima

I began experiencing issues with what we believe to be my break switch, and while I was driving down the road 3 of my breaks locked up, also taking away my ability to stop.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

May 222020

Altima

2018 Nissan Altima sl while driving in rain the message ¿front radar unavailable due to obstruction, ¿ appears. Vehicle begins to shake and the back brakes engage without touching them. Vehicle tries to hydroplane. Vehicle slows to approx 35 or 40 miles per hour. It feels like the back passengers wheel is locked up. I have owned this vehicle for 7 months. The aeb sensor has been replaced. This problem has happened 3 times since the replacement. Always while driving in the rain.

- Ninnekah, OK, USA

Jul 082020

Altima

The front radar obstruction sensor, when the car is in motion, turns off for no apparent reason, at any time or place, highway or local roads. Many times it turns off if I pass a car into an open road. This will affect the aeb system. Nissan dealer has stated that they do not have a fix or a recall for my 2018 Nissan Altima.

- Little River, SC, USA

Apr 022020

Altima 4-cyl

After 10 min of operation and at a regular speed in a frw 55 mph the collusion sensor comes up stating that there is no warning if a car is too close to the front of vehicle. Cruise control doesn't work and appears that works with the collusion sensor.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Apr 152020

Altima

I leased a 2018 Nissan Altima (from Nissan) on 3/24/18. Approx 12K miles into leasing the vehicle I had a brake light switch/brake lamp switch (brake switch) go bad. The vehicle is a push to start vehicle and the brake switch is a senor above the brake that when you press on the brake, it tells the vehicle that your pressing the brake to start the vehicle. The part was back ordered so Nissan as a whole had zero brake switches to replace my bad one. I explained to the Nissan service rep that im in the military and I need my vehicle to drive me to different duty locations and also I have court ordered custody in which I have to drive 424 miles to go see my daughter and that particular weekend I needed my vehicle to drive to see her. The rep advised me that he would take one from a new vehicle and place it into mines so I could go see my daughter. Because he did that, the maintenance was undocumented. At 21,254K miles the part failed again. Causing my vehicle not to start (it was start randomly). When it did start, I was not able to shift my vehicle out of park or sometimes if I did get it into park, I couldnt shift it from drive or reverse, causing a major safety concern. Also while driving the cars anti-collision braking system, which was incorporated with the switch, would suddenly cause my vehicle to brake (even while driving 70mph on the highway). Sometimes the vehicle wouldn't go over 30mph. I was able to get that fixed under warranty. The part failed again at 62,155K miles and at 129,025K miles. The last time the part failed I asked the Nissan service rep if there anything Nissan can do because I cant keep paying for this part to keep failing. I need my vehicle to see my daughter and to travel for the military. He advised me to call the Nissan corporate, I called and they started a case but the next day I was advised that they couldn't do anything.

- Crestview, FL, USA

Mar 152020

Altima

Radar sensor for aeb and fcw malfunctioning, turning off at random situations, braking when no vehicle is near, false alerts crossing rail road tracks, etc. Took to Nissan dealership under warranty but issue was not fixed since they claim to be because of potential prior crash. Vehicle has not been reported in a crash, and aeb is malfunctioning constantly to the point where it may be unsafe instead of a safety feature.

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Mar 042020

Altima

The Feb. Forward emergency braking radar keeps disabling with the radar clear

- Asheville, NC, USA

Jan 222020

Altima

The car will not start using push to start with the brake pedal depressed. The car is an automatic and the problem is due to a faulty stop light switch. The safety concern is that the brake lights are not functioning correctly and is a safety concern. This seems to be a common problem and the car is less than 2 years old.

- Queen Creek, AZ, USA

Jan 122020

Altima

The vehicle is frequently not recognizing that the brake is depressed. The brakes work fine but with the car not recognizing the brake is depressed, it will not start (as it is a push button start and the brake needs to be depressed for the car to start). Also because of it not recognizing that the brake is depressed, it occasionally will not shift out of park. Additionally because the vehicle does not recognize that the brake is depressed, the brake lights do not work which is a huge safety issue as other vehicles do not know that the car is braking. It happens when the vehicle is stationary as well as when it is being driven both at low speeds and highway speeds. The brake light sensor I believe is to blame for all of the above issues. Apparently it is fairly common with Nissan Altima and other Nissan vehicles as well. There should be a recall on that part as it creates unsafe conditions. The car is less than 2 years old and has 34,000 miles on it. I tried to schedule an appointment with my dealership where the car was purchased new but their first available appointment is 6-8 weeks away. I am bringing it into another repair facility tomorrow as it needs to be fixed urgently and cannot wait months.

- Crystal City, MO, USA

Dec 202019

Altima

The front radar is faulty and is causing issues with the front emergency braking (Feb). There is a notification that says "Feb unavailable: Front radar obstruction". this is causing a regular distraction to the driver and also poses in a risk that the vehicle may automatically brake unexpectedly or not brake in an emergency situation.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Dec 182019

Altima

A warning in the dash that says, ¿front radar unavailable due to obstruction.¿ the vehicle does this while in motion. The vehicle has 52190 miles on it at this time. The warning will reset when turning off the car and restarting. There are no items obstructed. Nissan dealership stated very common and replacing a lot of them. $1200 is the cost of repair quoted and the service advisor knew that without looking it up. This has to do with the radar sensor that is used for the automatic emergency braking system.

- Lakeland, FL, USA

Dec 012019

Altima

Intermittent front radar. Warning message will appear stating "front radar unavailble due to obstruction" when there is not an obstruction, then the system deactivates the automatic emergency braking. After a few minutes, the "obstruction" is cleared and the system resumes functionality. This will repeat quite often. While I own a Nissan Altima, it appears this is an issue in the Nissan Sentra, as well.

- Gaffney, SC, USA

Nov 212019

Altima

Front radar obstruction goes off. Recently it caused problems with my ABS to not work and disengage at times. Could be driving on an empty road and it will go off.

- Union Grove, WI, USA

May 182018

Altima

The contact owns a 2018 Nissan Altima. While driving around a curve at 25 mph, the steering malfunctioned and it was difficult to control the vehicle. Also, the brakes malfunctioned without warning, loud squeaking noises were heard, and it was difficult to stop the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to jackson Nissan (2400 seymour rd, jackson, mi 49201, (517) 788-8300) at least ten times since it was first leased in may of 2018. The dealer recently replaced the brake pads and power steering pump. The failures recurred and the contact was reluctant to drive the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer sent the contact a settlement release and offered to pay $2,000. By signing the release, the contact would relieve the manufacturer of all legal responsibility if something went wrong. The failure mileage was 100.

- Jackson, MI, USA

Nov 102019

Altima

While driving on the highway, during the morning, my car activated the brakes on its own, this is the second time this happens the first time I took it to the dealer and asked for the sensors to be removed, and kept it for a whole day and apparently nothing was done, secondly the (front radar obstruction) is becoming annoying. Another of the issues I encountered with this my Altima is the shifting, from 2nd to 3rd gear it feels as if the gears were stuck, also took it in the dealer and they said this could not be true because my Altima doesn't have a regular transmission it has a band, so I responded, you know more than me, just please make a note of my issue and I don't want to be stuck with a lemon, I am sure I'm not the only one that has encountered these issues

- Santa Paula, CA, USA

Aug 202019

Altima

The forward collision warning component becomes ¿unavailable¿ when there is nothing (no dirt or rain, snow) blocking the sensor. I keep the sensor wiped clean and on a nice sunny day, while vehicle is in motion on the highway, boulevard, residential streets. The sensor warning will tell me ¿fcw unavailable¿ with the 'symbol¿ of two cars crashing. It goes on for a while then off then back on again. In the photo below, I¿D just pulled over to take the picture of the symbol. (this was 08/20/19.10 days after my car purchase 08/10/19) at that time the symbol only is showing. I¿D just turned off the boulevard from driving 40mph. Can¿T get a pic of message while car is in motion, of course. This is now a regular occurrence for the 3 months I¿ve had my car. Taking into mechanic to get it checked end of November 2019. This warning occurs at various speeds.

- Rome, NY, USA