2013 Ford Focus transmission problems: jerks, hesitates when you take off

Jerks, Hesitates When You Take Off

2013 Ford Focus (Page 1 of 5)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: Ford changed a lot of things for its 3rd generation, just none of them were a good idea.

The transmission tends to hesitate and jerk when accelerating. The new electronically-driven power steering can fail suddenly and without warning. Even Ford's SYNC can be a headache. Actually, scratch that last one --- it's always been a headache.

7.6

$1,120.00

2. replace clutch (13 reports)
  3. software update (9 reports)
  4. waiting for ford to figure out what it takes to repair it (8 reports)
  5. replaced clutch mechanism (7 reports)
  6. rebuild tranmission and replaced input shaft seals (4 reports)
2013 Ford Focus transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Focus:

2013 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Aug 102017

Focus SE 2.0L Gdi

This is probably the 5th or 6th time its been back in the shop for the same thing since 2013. I'm really upset because the car is jerking and shaking when I turn to the right. I took it in and the dealership put it on a monitor. They told me they couldn't do anything about it because it didn't register high enough on the monitor. What the hell? How bad does it have to get? Do I have to have an accident before they will do something? Who made this asinine rule? If somethings wrong, then SOMETHINGS WRONG.

And, they know exactly what's wrong. Everytime they try to fix it, it lasts about 3 months or so and then it starts all over again.

I had asked my original salesman back in 2013 that I wanted a replacement car or my money back (paid cash for the car). He said he couldn't do that. I have dealt with this crap for 4 years now and its still not right. Why do I have to wait til my car is in horrible conditions to get it fixed RIGHT.

Now, my 100,000 mile warranty is about to run out and then where will I be? I bought a lemon, they knew it and the condition and situation will not be honored after warranty. Will it? I need some answers and a good attorney.

- , Blytheville, AR, US

Jul 092017

Focus ES

Two transmissions in 11 months I have owned the car is ridiculous.

- , Lima, US

Jun 262013

Focus SE 2.0L Gdi

Purchased (Cash) 2013 Ford Focus in May 2013 in Trumann, AR. Car started shaking and jerking the following month. I called my salesman and he said just drive it, it will work itself out. He said mine did the same thing. I continued to drive it and it only got worse. I called trying to get car into the shop in Trumann about 3-4 times. They never had time or did not have a mechanic available.

I moved to Blytheville, AR in September 2013 and continued to call the Trumann dealership to get something done. They never could get me in to fix the problem. Mean time, the shaking and jerking and hesitation continued to get worse. I finally took car to the dealership (Cannon) here in Blytheville and they could not have been nicer. However, they attempted to fix at least 3-4 times.

Ended up replacing the clutch I think 2 times. Worked on the transmission at least 2 times. I had both filters in the car go out and they replaced those. That was covered under my extended warranty. It seems like every 3 months or so it starts the hesitation/delay and jerking again. I thought they had gotten the problem resolved since my last visit but it has slowly started the jerking again. I will be calling them this week.

- , Blytheville, AR, US

Sep 272016

Focus

SHIMMY, SLOW START, TRANSMISSION SHIFT WITH HESITATION.

- , Fransville, US

Feb 192016

Focus SE

I purchased this vehicle as a Pre-Certified vehicle, suggesting it was in excellent running condition. A month later I returned to the dealership with the complaint of shuttering during start up form a stopped position. The dealership said it fit the criteria for a repair. Now at 12,500 miles later the problem has reoccurred. Haven't taken it back yet. What a disappointment again with a Ford product.

- , Woodhaven, US

Jul 142016

Focus SE 2.0L

Had transmission fixed around 39000 mi. News seals and programmed computer. Now a little over 50000 mi. I think it starting to act up again.

- , Hemet, CA, USA

Dec 312014

Focus

First off, it's a stick, so I thought at it was user error at first. Car is sometimes sluggish and lags in first, bucks around before it gets going. But it does it to everyone that drives it. Not necessarily dangerous, but I avoid U-turns or crossing roads that require good timing.

Of note, when the rear main seal failed the first time, I brought this up and Ford did warranty work that included reinstalling the transmission and replacing fly wheel and clutch. Problem persists.

- , Palm Harbor, US

Sep 012013

Focus SE

My Ford Focus, started shuttering, hesitating when talking off, lurching not long after I purchased it. It has been in service several times, it drives good for a while and then the problems start again. Now they say mine does not meet the standards for a clutch replacement, I like to see them drive it for a while and then tell me that. I only have a total of 25,000 miles on my car and should not be having all these issues and no, that is not a typo my 4 year old car only has 25,000 miles on it.

I also want to say that I also own a 2014 Ford Fiesta (husband's car) with the same issues and the Fiesta has had two clutch replacements which did nothing to solve the problems. This will be the last Ford cars for us.

- , Greensboro, US

Feb 012014

Focus

This Ford Focus only had 75 miles on it when I bought it. I needed a vehicle that would get me not only to work but my son to all 13 of his Specialist. When this problem with the transmission started I took it right in it would shake, jump and transmission just wasn't shifting right. I was told its the type of car at first. Then they replaced the clutch several times, reset the clutch and computer and this December transmission had to be replaced. Costing me a single mom 2300.00. My dad went up there with me several times demanding to have a new car and that this one was a lemon. They did nothing. Now the electrical system is all messed up the radio will static then make a big popping noise then the radio goes dead until you turn car off and turn it back on. My truck opens at random while in drive. I was going down interstate and out of nowhere it came open it was so scary. I took the car in and was told that they don't know why but if I want to spend the money it may take 300.00 to figure out what is wrong then cost to fix it. I am so sick of this car it's been nothing but a headache. Even with the transmission replace it stills misses out, jumps and shifts hard when you are taking off. I don't know what else to do I how so much money on this car and can't afford to even trade it. I believe that if ford doesn't want customers then treat us this way but if they value us then you would think they would make it right. Turn all those cars in and get something new that runs right for all these families. Will never ever get another Ford every again. Sad thing is that's all I had owned and had such good luck until know. When I buy a brand new one has been nothing but trouble.

- , Mcpherson, KS, US

Apr 222014

Focus Limited

ford should buy all these cars back garbage my car has been to the shop already 5 times, today makes 6 for the same problem. now it shuts off and the gauges go crazy. i was told it comes from the transmission module and it jerks and makes noise the service tech said its the worst car ever and that i was lucky it wasn't a fiesta. Ford you lost a life time customer never again will I buy Ford

- , Orlando, US

Jan 032017

Focus

I purchased this car used in January 2017 and wanted to buy something I could purchase outright. This was within my price range. I just thought this was something I had to live with but it is really annoying. I had to drive in traffic to work and you must softly and carefully press the gas to avoid the sputtering and occasional jerking.

- , Mira Loma, US

Dec 192013

Focus 2.0L

Transmission feels like it slips, revs up and then jumps into next gear. This happens from being at a complete stop, then accelerating, to slow or high speeds. Car is warmed up when this happens. Sudden jerking is felt when transmission jumps into next gear. Car has also lost power when trying to accelerate while pushing the gas pedal -very dangerous when left turning (which was when it happened the first time). Car also seems to jerk more when it is driving at slow speeds, around 30km/hr, especially at low speeds while ascending a small hill. Car has also lost power/no response on gas pedal while driving at a steady speed.

- , Surrey, BC, Canada

Oct 282015

Focus LX V6

My service manager was great ,Ricky Turner. My car is a piece of junk I even told them I needed to be compensated it fell on deaf ears. They reprogram pcm my recall letter did not come until after I was complaining about my car. I told them my car I was not driving right, it was jerking, hesitating and not getting power for take offs. My letter for recall came 10/2016. I called the corporate office 12/28/2015 and complained. they gave me a case# CAS8476525K5T6V8 FOR THIS COMPLAINT.

- , folsom, PA, US

Apr 152015

Focus LX V6

CALLED CORPORATE AGAIN AND GOT THE SAME RUN AROUND 03/09/2016.CASE#CAS8987120 AND CASE#CAS8987203. THIS IS A DISGRACE TO SELL CARS KNOWING THEY HAVE PROBLEMS AND PEOPLES LIVES ARE IN JEOPARDY.

- , folsom, PA, US

Feb 102016

Focus 2

I have no idea where to begin.

When I first got the car, low mileage, reasonably priced, seemed like it was in good order even on the test drive. I feel totally ripped off. They saw me coming. Stupid me bought the first car I test drove. I feel like an idiot. I wish I had of taken a mechanic or someone who knows about cars, because was absolutely ripped off. This model Ford Focus would never recommend it to anyone. One day once this car is paid off I'm going back to Toyota or Mitsubishi. Two recalls, jerks and hesitates on take off

I read there is a lawsuits allege in the states, among other things, that Ford: failed to disclose the fact that the PowerShift transmission contains one or more design and/or manufacturing defects that cause problems and unsafe conditions, including, but not limited to, suddenly lurching forward, delayed acceleration, and sudden loss of forward propulsion.

This is what I am experiencing now, and the mechanics told me there was nothing wrong. How does a person like me stand up against people like them?

What can I do, I would like to go to Ford and tell them to give me a new car so that the loan I am paying is not wasted on this stupid model.

- , Wentworthville, Australia

Sep 302015

Focus SE 2.0L I4

Fifth time to the dealership, they reprogram the transmission module, also we contacted the regional representative regarding the trans issue what a joke she told us basically we are on our own with this piece of crap of a vehicle!!

Aug 212015

Focus SE 2.0L I4

Fourth time the vehicle is in the dealership got the numbers required by Ford, dealer replaced the clutch and resealed again.

Jul 172015

Focus SE 2.0L I4

This would be the third time the vehicle is in the dealership for repair, Ford Company advised the dealership the vehicle must get the right numbers to repair the vehicle.

Sep 292014

Focus SE 2.0L I4

My wife and I first received the Customer Satisfaction Program letter 14M01 in August 2014, we took delivery of our vehicle Oct. 2012. We contacted our dealer they set-up an appointment to reprogram the vehicle. We were having issues with the transmission shuttering and making grinding noise. Our first visit regarding this piece of crap was in Sept. 2014. I will now add another complaint of many regarding our on going issue.

Oct 102016

Focus SE 2.0L I4

Sixth time in now the dealer tries to get the numbers required by Ford; Service Advisor tells us this vehicle is the worst that they have every seen. Dealer had the vehicle several days could not get the required numbers for ford to repair. sent the vehicle back with us no fix...