2013 Ford Focus transmission problems: transmission lags, shifts roughly

Transmission Lags, Shifts Roughly

2013 Ford Focus (Page 1 of 2)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: Ford changed a lot of things for its 3rd generation, just none of them were a good idea.

The transmission tends to hesitate and jerk when accelerating. The new electronically-driven power steering can fail suddenly and without warning. Even Ford's SYNC can be a headache. Actually, scratch that last one — it's always been a headache.

7.9

$0

2. replaced clutch discs (3 reports)
  3. a 2014 recall letter from ford about transmission problems (2 reports)
  4. tsb 13-4-18 (google it) (2 reports)
  5. updated module software (2 reports)
  6. replace clutch (1 reports)
2013 Ford Focus transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Focus:

2013 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

May 052020

Focus Titanium

Just bought the car 2 weeks ago. No warranty. Didn't find out about the class action suit until went and visited my long time mechanic yesterday.

I have taken it in once, for stuttering at take off, and hesitation between shifts (automatic trans-I think between 1-2nd.) Dealer service said it needed updating and to drive it for a few days to see if it "gets used to my driving?" Stuttering doesn't seem too bad now, but still hesitates between gears. Taking it in again on Monday, but I'm worried. There is only a 1000 mile warranty and I'm already only 300 miles away from that.

What should I do if the 2nd trip to the dealer doesn't help? Should I join the lawsuit?

- Sherilyn R., Saint Augustine, FL, US

Oct 302017

Focus ES 2.0L

Purchased the car from a local dealership. The transmission problem is getting progressively worse and I have called local dealer to have them review while still under the manufacturer's warranty. Had I known about these complaints earlier, never would have paid cash for this car. Ford has historically had a problem with design flaws as noted by the Ford Pinto. Rather than fix the problem of fuel tanks exploding at a cost of $140 million, they spent $50 million settling lawsuits. I have a 91 ford mustang with 5.0 motor that has over 400,000 miles on it and the Focus will be the last Ford I ever buy. These new one's are not built well, although in fairness, every car manufacturer whether domestic or foreign has a recall. But Ford has shown how bad they are at standing by their warranties and service.

- Paul S., Olathe, US

Oct 242016

Focus SE 3.2L 4 cyl

OK so the transmission has had I don't know how many recalls to fix it but each time it's "fixed" it'll be fine for a few months then it misses when shifting WORSE than ever!!!! Is there an actual fix for this problem!?!?!

- Ashley N., Washington, IN, US

Aug 012015

• CVT transmission

This Focus has a TERRIBLE transmission issue. It stalls, grinds, rolls back, and ultimately, STOPPED STARTING. The techs reprogrammed the transmission control module last year, and the problem persisted, but I was told it was "normal" and there wasn't anything they could do. Finally, the module completely failed, and my car would not start at all.

- Katie R., Fort Worth, TX, US

Jun 012015

Purchased vehicle new in June 2013

August 2014 - Mileage was recorded on visit to dealer noticed jerking and hesitation on acceleration and took in for testing/inspection to dealer. Testing revealed clutch plate outside mfg specs. Adjusted computer (relearn) not sure what that was.Dealer replaced the Clutch Seal at no cost under warranty.

June 2015 - Odom 30,197. Same problem, but worse. Sometimes the gears don't change. Sometimes the gears don't engage. There is more jerking on acceleration. Took to new dealer - (because I moved) Testing revealed that clutch/transmission presents out of spec

They are going to order and replace the clutch part BV6Z-7B546-F

Update from Jul 6, 2015 Dealer ordered new clutch to be installed on 7/15/15

- kwilter87, Salisbury, NC, US

Jan 302013

Focus 2.0L 4 cyl

The auto trans has always shuddered at low revs and take off, not knowing to get going or not, very annoying. Had the trans check on the computer read out. 1st time they said there was no real standout issues presenting on the computer diagnose. I wasn't happy after driving the car after the check.

I took it back and they retested it when the car engine was warmer after running. Symptoms where more prevalent outside the standard readings. Ended up they had the car for 3 days, drained the trans, seals replaced, trans oil had been leaking onto clutch plates, giving the shudder through gear changes in the auto.

Better for a while but still noise when take off through the lower gear range. GRRR GRRR, lagging power etc. Had the 14,000 klm service recently, they replaced the drive shafts under recall, I didn't even know about it.? I asked them to do a new diagnose, they said it was ok Gearbox still lagging and shuddering Giving me the sh*ts actually .

- wayno890, South Australia, Australia

Aug 162014

Focus SE 2.0L

I JUST bought this car, and within two days I could feel sputtering and slipping while in the lower gears. Then saw this site with all the reports of an issue. I will be going to Ford to find out what's going on.

- Amy M., Fresno, CA, US

Nov 162014

Focus SE 2.0L

Since I bought the car, like all the other complaints -

Seals leaking,grinding,disengaging, the list goes on.

- unhappyowner2013, Bellwood, PA, US

Sep 102014

Focus Titanium 2.0L

Took delivery May, 2013. Initial complaint of shudder, hesitation led service tech @ Ford dealer Place Motor in Webster MA to reply: the car has to "learn" how you drive....it should go away after about 1,000 mi. WRONG. This has gotten progressively worse. The sales team when selling you this car makes no disclaimer about what Ford calls the "driving characteristics" of their disaster they've deemed their "PowerShift" 6-speec (dual clutch) transmission.

I can point out several points of topography where, without fail, the vehicle exhibits grinding, shuttering and hesitation. Coming out of my employer's parking lot (on a steep hill), then rounding a 90 degree right to go down a steep hill 50' later causes the car to buck so much that it feels like I'm getting rear-ended. I'm actually avoiding roads with this car. City driving, between 1-2000 rpm - the transmission doesn't know what it wants to do. Place Motor kept it for 5 days in September, 2014, only to report "there's a problem but not enough of a problem for Ford to do anything about it". This after the service tech chuckled on a test drive and felt it (embarrassingly) perform poorly. Nice work.

Very simply - they want problems to go away on their own. The Atty. General in MA needs to jump all over this issue but instead is too busy running for Governor. Most all other features of the car are great - but this experience, and transmission? 1st, and last Ford...ever.

Update from May 9, 2015: 2 other dealers since original post - same problem. Customer "Relationship" Center on 2 occasions called the intended dealer BEFORE me after asking who I wanted to go to, presumably to notify them to avoid the driving characteristics which represented the problem. Reprehensible behavior from this corporation. They routinely close cases and don't bother following up. Typical "bury your head in the sand behavior" hoping the problem will go away and running the clock out til warranty expiration. Never seen anything like this in my life. Will never purchase another Ford again and talking this up and other blogs as much as possible. Case as of May with atty. awaiting response of demand letter.

- 21blackjacklarry, Dudley, MA, US

Sep 012014

Focus 3.2L

transmission stalls, jerks and slips going uphill. shifts rough, jerks while shifting

- Sherry A., Oak Hill, OH, US

Jul 012013

Focus

Started just a couple weeks after getting the car .. blew it off at first, but kept getting worse. Been to a local dealer ... updated module software, replaced clutch and now waiting for Ford to provide the next action. Considering selling the car and buying something else ... but it's barely a year old. Most painful part --- we can't park it in our garage since that is at the bottom of a driveway and can't get the car back UP the driveway in the morning due to the stutters and hesitations ... so it gets parked on the street in front where it has been broken into four times over the last month!!! Now we don't even bother to lock the car -- tired of the windows being broken ... just strip everything (and yes, we mean EVERYTHING) out every night when we get home from work. Gotten old.

- Holly B., Apo, AE, US

Aug 012013

Focus Zetec 1.6L

I brought the car to two different official ford car dealer, the first one I brought it there 4 times could not find anything, the second one is the car dealer where I bought the car, after two times find that it was a software update for the gearbox! but could not find anything wrong about the clang noise?

This is the email I sent Ford UK this morning.

I have a Ford Focus 2013 5000 miles, I bought last year in April. I brough my car at ford Dagenham Walthamstow,last year about 3 to 4 times for a gear box juddering problem and a clang noise when i am in full lock right about to reverse to park.

For walthamstow did some extensive test that they did not provide me with the copy of what was done! At each time they did not find anything wrong with the car! So I booked the car at the dealer I bought the car, Ford Enfield, and they find that the gear box needed a software update, but nothing about the clang noise! My first question is how WALTHAMSTAOW did EXTENSIVE TEST AND DID NOT FIND OUT THAT THE GEAR BOX NEEDEED A SOFTWARE UPDATE? OR THEY ARE LYING AND THEY DID NOT DO EXTENSIVE TEST?

Last week I booked my car at Ford Enfield for the first service and the gear box juddering again and the clang noise still happening.

They provided me with the check list that they have done and say that everything was perfect!

NOW HOW CAN A WEEK AFTER MY WIFE DRIVE THE CAR WITH THE KIDS IN A SLOW TRAFFIC AND WHEN SHE USED THE BREAK THE FRONT BREAKS WAS MAKING A GRINGING WHISTLELING LOUD NOISE AND I FELT ALSO SOME SLIGHT VIBRATION IN THE FRONT BREAK PADS THIS MORNING WITH THE 4 OF US IN THE CAR? AND THEY HAVE CHECKED THE BREAKS?? AT THE SERVICES!

I AM NOT SATISFY OF WHAT WAS DONE AT THE SERVICE AND DEMAND THAT FORD ENFIELD TAKE THE CAR BACK AND REMOVE THE BREAK PADS TO CHECK THEM PROPERLY SOMETHING IS WRONG WHITH THE BREAKS ON THIS CAR, AND THE GEAR BOX IS JUDDERING AGAIN.

I AM FED UP ABOUT A CAR THAT I AM PAYING ALMOST £400 EVERY MONTH WITH ONLY 5000 MILES THAT I HAVE TO FIGHT TO HAVE SOMETHING WHO IS THE MANUFACTURER FAULT SORT IT OUT

- Richard I., Ilford, Essex, UK

Sep 062013

Focus SE 1.9L

Had car back to dealer 3 times they keep scanning the transmission and trying to fix but it doesn't work. they say it is in spec. car does not shift sometimes when you are going up a parking ramp.

- verhoffjohn1958jv, Saint Louis, MO, US

Dec 172013

Focus SE 2.0L

Purchased as a new vehicle and 5000 miles in started noticing shuttering and lagging at takeoff. Returned vehicle 3 times before they actually agreed that something was wrong. Clutch and rear seal replaced at 19000 miles. Another 5000 miles and problem is back and again back to the shop for them to tell me nothing wrong and that the vehicle is within spec and that this is just how this type of transmission and clutch assembly are going to work.My wife drives this vehicle and transports children and we both feel that this vehicle is totally unsafe for that. Ridiculous to pay as much money hoping to get a reliable economical vehicle. Complained to General Manager of Dealership who said he would "try" to get me out of the vehicle into something else. Guess we will see.

- Jimmie B., Raleigh, NC, US

Oct 152013

Focus SE 2.0L

Close to having an accident--pulled out into an intersection then car acted like it was slipping(or stalled but still running) almost was broadsided--took to have my oil changed and was told it had a transmission leak and ended up in the dealership for repairs--a week later got the car back with the same issues and more--now hearing a ratcheting sound along with a vibration noise coming from left front of car--still slipping also!!! took car back and mechanic rode with me and stated drive another 500 miles because the computer needs to get used to my driving again--ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!!! meanwhile that is that much LESS that my warranty exists!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Mildred M., Watertown, NY, US

May 222013

Focus SE

This is the start of my complaints, after this one my car went back to the shop 4 more times for the same thing.

- Barbara R., Raleigh, NC, US

Mar 202013

Focus

This vehicle has been in the shop for all of the above symptoms twice, clutch replacement, reprogramming, and still this problem continues. This transmission problem cannot be considered suitable or a safe operating function. Ford changed their shift strategy with this transmission and among other issues the turbine and output sensors are faulty . Shunting and irregular shifting are putting other stresses on this car (Drive line- as the example).

We have had this vehicle out-of-service for more than 30 days and we feel that now, the third time, this is having the same problems. The lemon Law is going to come into effect and we will have a fourth problem. We bought the extra warranty for 5 years. Not very happy with customer satisfaction (Designed for living-Engineered to last)

- jcbextreme, Ravenal, SC, US

Jul 102013

Focus SE

I bought the car Christmas Eve 2012 as a gift to myself, turns out this might have been the worst gift EVER! I didn't notice it at first, it was noticed by a passenger that asked "why does it shift so rough"? I didn't think nothing of it but over time it got worse. I took it for a test drive a few times and they said they couldn't find anything wrong, then finally in July 2013 they kept it a few days and told me they had to replace the clutch. OK, cool, it was under warranty no problem. I asked if this had happened before and he said maybe a couple times before but nothing to worry about. They have never had to replace it twice on any car.

It was fine for a while still riding not so smooth but every time I complained they said that's just how those cars shift. Fast forward March 2014. I started smelling oil. I took it in, it's leaking, they replaced something. Now the latest, 05/29/14, I'm sitting at a red light and try to pull off and the car goes NOWHERE. I keep pushing the gas, finally it takes off putters a little and the check engine light comes on. I got a call today 06/01/14 they had to replace the clutch and module AGAIN! So much for them never having to do it twice.

I get that problems will occur and thank God for warranty. I just don't understand with all the complaints about this same issue why is there not a recall on this? I can't wait to trade this car in. This is the first time I have purchased a vehicle and I must say it has not been a good experience. Thank you Ford for screwing that up for me!

- Zondria B., Dallas, TX, US

Jul 172013

Focus

My car keeps shaking when I take off and it kicks. can we do a class action lawsuit? f*ck man make ford fix all this sh*t.

- Diego C., Los Angeles, CA, US

Jul 012013

Focus SE 2.0L I4

Automated manual transmission clutches are slipping causing moderate to severe (intermittent) hesitation. Dealer says that the way its supposed to be when I took it in. Went to independent mechanic and fluid is leaking in rear main seal, dealer didn't even check. Replaced clutch assembly at 12000 miles, hesitation from start, 8000 more miles, dealer says nothing wrong, take to independent mechanic and again leaking from rear main seal. Currently waiting for loaner to get fixed again. Contacted attorney to lemon law the car in Georgia and they have sent notification to Ford

Same as everyone else, I've also posted on lemon law blogs, hundreds and hundreds of complaints.

- Tim B., Powder Springs, GA, US