2016 Honda Pilot brakes problems: shaking while braking

Shaking While Braking

2016 Honda Pilot

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Honda dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: It's worrying when the top category for 2016 Honda Pilot problems are transmission problems. Owners report jerking when accelerating. Also as the first model year of the redesigned 3rd generation Pilot, it's not a good sign.

Honda released a TSB on October 29 2016 that's possibly related. The TSB deals with a "a judder from the torque converter lock-up clutch ... while driving between 20 and 60 mph" due to deteriorated transmission fluid resulting from "specific driving conditions". In the TSB, Honda states they are developing a software fix to try to keep the transmission fluid temperature within spec.

We are keeping a close eye on this defect trend because if certain driving conditions can affect transmission shifting in the first year of ownership, we'd hate to think what 10+ years will do.

7.0

$270

2016 Honda Pilot brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Honda Pilot:

2016 Honda Pilot Owner Comments

Nov 272016

Pilot V6

Driving downhill the Grapevine in Southern California around 70-75MPH, then started to brake. That's when the whole car started to shake. This occurred last November 2016. I took the car to the Honda dealer where we bought the car and got it serviced. "Performed rotor resurface and test drive vehicle at highway speed, rechecked ok." Just this Thanksgiving, we did the same thing driving downhill coming back home (headed Northbound) and it started to do the same thing! This CANNOT be normal wear and tear. I called the dealer again and I'm waiting for a callback as the Service should have a 12 month warranty. What's more concerning is the fact it happened again. I hope more people report this same thing and have Honda do some kind of recall to fix this permanently!!

- Paul N., El Dorado Hills, US

Jun 102016

Pilot Limited V6

I have had my Honda Pilot for just over a year. About 9 months into owning the car, I noticed when travelling down hill that when I applied brakes my car started to shake. The rotors were too hot and so the dealership shaved them for free. It happened again only 3 months later with barely any miles driven. The dealership claims it is normal wear and tear and its because its a heavy car. However, I have driven SUVs before and this has never been a problem. The tech even admitted to me that he thinks they should upgrade the brakes. Clearly this is a recurring problem with several customer complaints. It is scary and unsafe, and Honda should be held accountable for this mechanical issue. I was told by the tech that in the future I will have to pay for a poorly designed brake system. I spent over 40K on this car and I should not be having this type of braking issues. It is truly a safety problem.

- Shelley C., Denver, CO, US