CarComplaints.com Notes: So far the 2011 Elantra doesn't have the same volume of transmission problems that 2010 owners are fighting with. It also doesn't have the same pattern of steering and braking complaints that are piling up with the 2013 model year.

We're not saying the 2011 is perfect -- I mean, what were they thinking advertising their MPGs -- but there are worse choices.

8.4

$4,500.00

2. replace engine (2 reports)
2011 Hyundai Elantra engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Hyundai Elantra:

2011 Hyundai Elantra Owner Comments

Feb 042017

Elantra LS

had car 11 months thanks goodness purchased warranty 1800. will cover the problem and provide rental. so sad this happen guess I will get rid of it when warrenty is over

- , Newtown Sq, PA, USA

Mar 312016

Elantra LS

DO NOT BUY A HYUNDAI. LET'S STICK TOGETHER AND PUT THESE KINDS OF COMPANIES OUT OF BUSINESS. USE SOCIAL MEDIA AS WELL.

- , Seymour, IN, USA

Feb 182016

Elantra

I bought my 2011 Hyundai Elantra in 2013 at a Hyundai dealership. Recently, my car started making a rattling noise when I started it up. I had an appointment to get it looked at and figured it was just a loose belt. I continued to drive it and one night I was delivering for work when it would not start! I even tried using jumper cables to start my car, but that was unsuccessful.

I had to call towing companies all over and finally managed to get it to the dealership. A few days later they called and told me I needed a new engine, which costs $4,500. I had the other option of buying a used engine, which was $3,500. Neither options were feasible for me, a senior in college who is about to graduate. When they explained the issue, they said a rod had been thrown through my engine and created the rattling noise. Metal was apparently mixing with my oil and creating a "sandpaper" like effect in my engine. I had my oil changed regularly and had just got it checked the week prior.

Apparently my car wasn't covered under the warranty even though it had less than a hundred thousand miles on it and was five years old. Long story short...I have no idea what to do and do not recommend buying a Hyundai. It sounds like this problem is pretty common, and Hyundai is not being responsible and recalling the engines because it is too costly for them. So instead they are ripping their customers off and people need to be aware of this!

- , Bloomington, IN, USA

Apr 112015

Elantra GLS Limited 1.8L

When the engine is running there's a loud ticking noise constantly and grows when the RPM's rise while driving. It's beyond annoying and it seems to be mentioned here by others several times. I always stay on top of making sure the oil is in check as well as any maintainance the car needs. I'm seriously hoping that Hyundai is going to notice this issue and put out a recall on it as they should if so many people are experiencing the same problem.

I feel it's just a matter of time before the engine just dies completely, and if that were to happen while driving could be an incredibly significant safety issue.

Bruce M. Massachusetts

- , Methuen, MA, US

Mar 302012

Elantra

When the car started after sitting a couple hours the upper end of the motor rattles for several seconds. This indicates that this area of the motor is being starved of oil and there is an oiling problem.

When I took if to the dealer in Ca. only to be told that it has a warranty and not to worry. My wife took it in a second time only to be told they didn't hear it. I wonder if something else is going on here in additional to the original problem.

This is metal to metal wear which is not good especially on a twin cam motor. A lot of damage is occurring.

- , San Mateo, CA, USA