CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2014 Nissan Altima shows multiple problem trends, continuing the poor reputation of the 2013 Altima, prompting us to give it our "Beware of the Clunker" badge.

Owners are complaining about vibration and even transmission failure related to the CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission).

2014 Nissan Altima engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Nissan Altima:

2014 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 052019

Altima

The contact owns a 2014 Nissan Altima. While driving 10 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was able to restart. The contact called sullivan brothers Nissan (1 cranberry rd, kingston, MA 02364, (781) 585-7500) to notify them of the failure. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was 79,000.

- Vuxbury, MA, USA

Jun 162019

Altima

The car stalled and shut itself down when stopped at red signal light. Car was able to start but kept stalling and shutting itself down as soon as the car was put in drive or reverse or drive sport.

- Glen Allen, VA, USA

Jun 092019

Altima

Lach in hood doesn't work and I'm scared it will open while I'm driving and my catalytic converter manifold is not working properly (engine light on)

- South Richmond Hill, NY, USA

Feb 132019

Altima

Car stalls out while driving engine completely shuts off or sputters like it is going to die in the middle of traffic while driving it does not matter of it is hot or cold it does ot when ever it wants too nothing triggers the random sputtering or engine dying as well car has a grinding metal noise coming from the brakes replaced the brakes and rotors but still making the noise as if brakes are very bad.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Feb 062019

Altima

I purchsed this car Feb 2nd 2019 couple days later engine light comes on so car has 30day warranty so I call and they had me go there mechanic put in the shop. A code for 02 sensors came up but he say he just need replace Cadillac converter he didnt need replace sensors so 5 days later I pick up car and 3 days after light comes back on I call complain on way coming from another city hour away and noticing car jerking and loosing power on hwy on way mechanic car breaks down im stranded with baby for hour they tow they shop say it was fuel.pumps I get car thinking things good I make a 300 paymemt since I still owed 1500 on down payment days later light comeson again smoke comes out back car when I start. It. in morning car jerks back real hard when I get on hwy or hesitate pick up speed engine making rattling noise and oil pressure sensor on I take it for 2nd opnion before taking back there mechanic and the thing they suppose fix still shows need be fix mass air flow sensor and then oil pressure sensor and spark plus so I tell mechanic did yall even fix mass flpw sensor cause same code pop up he says some times new parts can act faulty but dont worry we fix it. Got warranty but he gotta ask permission about spark plugs and oil pressure sensor so he ask me when I can come in I say Friday the night before my appt car breaks down 40 min. On hwy car looses power lights dont work head lighs dont work car key wont open doors or trunk and im getting I key system error I go replace battery that didnt help so Saturday they tow car and send me a repo letter since im behind payment cause im not gonna keep paying on car thats breaking down leaving me stranded at this point I gave them 3 tries so I just want my 1500 plus 300 back even tho warranty expired I did adress this 3 times before it expired

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Nov 142018

Altima

My car has had many problems with the check engine light. My smog mechanic has checked it, he stated it needed a mass airflow senser. He installed it. $$$$$$ light went out, came back on in a day or to. He ordered another one, same thing happened. I am really tired of this. I bought the car new, only has 68000 miles on it. Help me out, whats the problem. I noticed that alot of people have the same problem. The dealer has no clue!!!!!! help me please

- Corona, CA, USA

Jan 282019

Altima

I have a 2014 Nissan Altima that revs up while I;M driving and then stops. I turn it off and start it again. It does this constantly. It's very dangerous because I'm driving and all of a sudden, I hear a revving up sound, the car starts to hesitate, , it slows down and then comes to a complete stop. It doesn;T give me a chance to pull off the road. I have to immediately put on my hazard lights. It stops without warning. Once I hear the revving up sound, within a few seconds she hesitates, slows down and come to a complete stop. Very, very dangerous. The car hesitates when making turns also. Car does not accelerate if you stop at a light like she suppose to. Let me explain. When I'm at a red light and the light turns green, I put my foot on the gas and the car does not accelerate, she hesitates, go slowly, then kicks in and allows you to proceed. I'm very afraid to drive it. I have heard others and on the news say peoples experience with their Nissan Altima shutting down just like mine. For me its shutting down everywhere. It's happened on the highway, street, always when in motion, during turns, after stopping at a red light and its time to proceed. I've almost gotten hit by other cars many times when she suddenly stalls. Something is wrong with this vehicle. I don't have video of incident because it hasn't had an accident yet, but I'm sure an accident can happen at any day. I'm nervous every time I drive it. It's the mercies of god that I haven't had an accident. Please note I was almost in an accident that would have badly injured or killed me when I was making a left turn on hwy 78. The car stalled while making a left turn. The SUV almost hit me as I was making my left turn and the car stalled and the SUV stopped just as it was about to hit me. I was shaken up so badly, I had to park my car and calm my nerves. This shouldn't be happening. It's a dangerous car.

- Stone Mountain, GA, USA

Oct 222018

Altima

I have had continous transmission since I have had my vehicle. I purchased a brand new 2014 Nissan Altima 2.5sl. It was replaced in 2015 new transmission by the dealership. However, as recent as may I had transmission issues that resulted in cvt getting fixed. Then in July similiar issue which dealership reported there was an update needed on my car, a selonid needed to be replaced. After spending over 2,000 on my car it is still not fixed. The check engine light is back on and not able to accelarate on the highway. This has caused a definite safety issue and is an ongoing issue that Nissan and the dealership need to address. I am requesting reimubursement, extension of warranty, and for my transmission cvt to be fixed and if further issues occur Nissan needs to comply with fixing it.

- Gloucester, MA, USA

May 072018

Altima

The contact owns a 2014 Nissan Altima. While driving approximately 40 mph, the vehicle failed to accelerate as the accelerator pedal was depressed. In addition, the check engine and ABS warning indicators illuminated. The engine was turned off and the vehicle was restarted, but the vehicle failed to accelerate at a high rate of speed. The vehicle was driven slowly to the contact's residence. The dealer (universal Nissan, 12785 S orange blossom trail, orlando, Florida 32837) was called and made aware of the failure, but the vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and opened case number: 31323934. The approximate failure mileage was 93,000.

- Wildwood, FL, USA

Apr 292018

Altima

Shortly after the first year the car began hesitating and eventually went on to completely cut off while my family and I were traveling. The transmission was replaced under warranty. I didn't have that particular problem for another year after the new transmission. The dealerships would always say they could not supplicate my concern. The problem persisting. I'm afraid to pull out in traffic because it stalls, jerks or hesitates. I won't allow my children to drive it because it is just too dangerous. Both my husband and I have paid taken it for diagnosis the past 6 months. I'm taking it yet again tomorrow. I cannot figure out the pattern. It seems to be worse once pausing after a long drive > 50 miles. While traveling this weekend, I paused at the highway off-ramp and it wouldn't accelerate beyond 15 mph. The check engine light came on this time. I pulled over and cut the car off. It did finally go but the rmps still idled highly. There are some days the problem isn't prevalent and the drive seems smooth. That's what makes it so dangerous. I have to wait until there's no traffic before attempting to turn or pull into traffic.

- Macon, GA, USA

Apr 262018

Altima

I was driving on a road going appx 35 mph. Stopped at a traffic light, and my engine shut off and my car drifted. The brakes wouldnt even work. My radio and lights remained functional. I turned the car off and restarted it and when I put it in drive or reverse, it shut down again. The engine only stayed on in neutral or park.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Mar 072018

Altima

I started experiencing problems with my vehicle about a year ago. While driving the car seem to not change gears. I had to coast to the side of the street, turn the vehicle off and restart it which made the vehicle to what I call "reset". this did not happen again until months later. Now my vehicle from time to time, while driving the vehicle seem as if it will not go when I accelerate from a stop in traffic. I thought it need transmission fluid. I discovered that it requies ctv transmission fluid and can only be done at a dealership which was not true. My local certified transmission repair center said they could perform a diagnostic for $99, which we did. We are now being told that the transmission need to be replaced and that this was a problem on most of the Nissan Altima's. replacement would cost about $4,800. Why hasn't Nissan recalled these vehicles after so many complaints?

- Palmdale, CA, USA

Jun 072017

Altima

My engine is making a raddling noise every time I accelerate then goes into an even worse noise like there's some sort of crack in the casing or a loose bolt inside the engine compartment. The breaks squeak every time I go into a stop motion. I've made a appointment before with carmax before and they've spent 5 hours in which none of the initial issues that I drove to austin for. And since that appointment no one has answered my calls to set up another and the two major issues are just getting worse.

- Killeen, TX, USA

Feb 122018

Altima

My vehicle stopped on the highway in a busy evening traffic. For 10 minutes I was not able to do, but sit idle. After that car started but it was juddering and shaking every time I used to stop at red light or stop sign. The vibrations were very violent and scary. Even, in neutral, car engine revs up to 2K-3K RPM without accelerating. Nissan company and dealer are not helping and putting my life in danger as I could have got hit by another car/ trailer.

- Auburndale, MA, USA

Dec 012017

Altima 5-cyl

The contact owns a 2014 Nissan Altima. While attempting to stop the vehicle, it surged forward and the engine stalled without warning. The vehicle was able to restart after several attempts. The vehicle was towed to a local dealer (superior Nissan of conway, 1090 collier drive, conway, ar 72032), but the failure could not be duplicated. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified and stated that the failure was being investigated. The failure mileage was approximately 41,000. Consumer stated superior Nissan dealership in conway, Arkansas inspected the vehicle and could not get it ti turn off. They said it was safe, we traded in. Updated 8/28/18

- Maumelle, AR, USA

Dec 112017

Altima

My check engine light came on today. Took my car to baker Nissan dealership for them to put it on diagnostic machine. I was charged $135. No work was done since I am out of warranty and extended warranty. They told me the engine was misfiring. Two codes appeared P0304 and P0300. In order to replace 1 ignition coil it was $357 for parts and labor. To replace all 4 ignition coils and spark plugs it is $1023.

- Cypress, TX, USA

Sep 192017

Altima

My Nissan Altima 2014 engine caught on fire while driving on va 286 interstate 66 w exit toward front royal for merging onto I-66 w Virginia. Luckily I got out safely. I saw smoke come up from under the hood so shut the engine off, so I pulled over to the side. Then a flame came up and I ran out of the car. Within a matter of seconds the whole car was engulfed in flames and is destroyed 75% and I hardly saved my life but lost laptop, mobiles, baby car seat, stroller and other personal stuff. We lost our car which costed us $22,000 even engine was under 5 year warranty which caused a reason of fire but Nissan is not ready to take responsibility of its product even their product will take your life. We still owe to bank for Nissan Altima 2014. Help us to cover a total loss from Nissan. This stuff should not be happening!! I do not have gap insurance either. Nissan should give us new car as a replacement!!!!

- Manassas, VA, USA

May 232017

Altima

My car shut down multiple times while driving it to work. I had to get it towed to Nissan and find a way to work. Nissan said they reprogrammed the cvt transmission and didnt bother to tell me there was a recall. When I got it back it was worse than when I took it in the first time. It is unprofessional and dangerous for them not to tell me about the recall.

- Mariana Del Rey, CA, USA

Apr 292017

Altima

Vehicle is a 2014 Nissan Altima 4 cylinder motor. It recently had the transmission recall, disguised as a "campaign" performed. It was a software update. Since then, the car upshifts while decelerating, causing the engine to stumble & almost stall. It is similar to the torque converter locking up & affecting the drivetrain. If the engine stalled, driver would lose control of the vehicle & might crash the car. The car is in motion when it happens on a road where speeds are about 50 mph, which is about the speed we were driving when it happened. It has happened while driving straight or in mild turns.

- Austin, TX, USA

Feb 032017

Altima

I purchased vehicle in 2014 and I have had all required maintenance performed. I'm not at 71K miles and have been experiencing abrupt jerking while driving. Nissan has a recall to reprogram the cvt. However, they offered extended warranties to few customers and not all of us. This is an ongoing complaint regarding the cvt and the enormous amount of money consumers have paid...not to mention the inevitable safety risk. Something has to be done and Nissan should be held responsible. I have an appointment on Monday regarding the recall...which they did not inform me about until I called about my car 2 days ago. Not to mention another recall for the airbag, that I found out about online. They are not communicating with their customers at all.

- Laurel, MD, USA