CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2007 Cobalt inherited most of the problems from the 2005 and 2006 model years, but toned them down (a bit). Sure, the power steering still fails and the car has a chance of going up in flames due to a cracked fuel tank, but it’s not as prevalent as the older models. At least not yet.

In 2012, the Cobalt was recalled for gas tank fires but only for owners in certain states.

Then in 2014, the 2007 Cobalt was part of a massive GM recall due to a defective ignition switch that could cause the airbags to not deploy during an accident. The problem led to 13 deaths, government investigations and multiple class-action lawsuits.

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt:

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Aug 242015

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start and the power steering light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 180,000. The VIN was not available.

- Edmond, OK, USA

Sep 112013

Cobalt 4-cyl

Brought 2007 Cobalt on 7/09/14. Reported the problem of the vehicle shutting- off on me and no inspection sticker was on the car 7/10/14. They wrote a work order out. Brought the vehicle to archer auto to get work performed and for a inspection sticker. Archer auto kept my 2007 Cobalt for 3 months. Until I called BBB business and filed a complaint. Archer auto said they fix my vehicle but didn't. archer auto put a illegal inspection sticker on it to pass the emission test. Archer auto returned my vehicle. Then the power steering went out. Brought it to Firestone to get fix. Then later found out there was a recall on the power steering. The 2007 Cobalt was shutting-off on me and losing all power..then I took it back because their was another recall on the vehicle. Then on 9/13/14 the engine shut-off on me. Losing all power, locking the brakes and power steering also. I ran into the back of a vehicle and totaled put the 2007 Cobalt.

- Richmond, TX, USA

Mar 092015

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving at approximately 70 mph, the accelerator pedal was depressed and the speedometer remained on 0 mph. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to numerous dealers, who confirmed that the transmission control module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 140,000.

- Titusville, FL, USA

Jan 102015

Cobalt

Car just turned off with no power, while backing from driveway. Could not stop the vehicle and ran over my boyfriends foot. Two neighbors were able to stop my vehicle since wasn't going fast. No warning. Vehicle would not restart. Just passed annual inspection and always followed maintenance schedule. It should be noted that my boyfriend injured his foot and wants to file a claim with my insurance.im trying to talk him out of it because I don't feel I was at fault and I don't want my rates to increase. Chevy Corp should resolve this issue before someone dies. I took my vehicle to the Chevy dealer and they want to replace my engine at my cost. $3800.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Oct 102014

Cobalt 4-cyl

I was driving in town and suddenly lost all power. I had to use the momentum of the car to move over 2 lanes of traffic in order to get pulled to the side of the road. Had it towed to the mechanic and found out that both the fuel pump and the electrical panel under my fuse box had gone out. This cost me over $1800 to have fixed and the mechanic states GM was aware of the fuse box issue and to watch for a recall. Also the fuel pump was a specialty that was not placed in most cars of this year/model and had to be ordered from the factory. The problems that are happening with these cars are ridiculous. GM should have to pay the owners to have the entire car replaced.

- Anderson , CA, USA

Mar 052014

Cobalt

First the battery died in the car. After that the car fell apart. The keys became lodged in the ignition and would not come out. The stereo lost all and complete power. Fuses were checked for the radio none were blown. As a result of the keys being stuck in the ignition, it drained power from the battery and I had to turn the interior overhead light to on and the car would then regain power and start. All except the radio. The recall for the ignition cylinder was announced and I had the car serviced at a GM dealer. After the repair of the ignition cylinder the keys still were lodged in the ignition switch. I was told the switch lever needed to be replaced. How could a dead battery cause all of this at once. The radio and electrical issues happened directly after the battery died and never returned back to normal even after purchasing a brand new battery.

- Arvonia, VA, USA

Aug 012013

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that while driving various mph, the RPM gauge and the speedometer flutter between 0 to 20 mph and the fuel gauge read empty. The security locks and power steering light remained illuminated at all times. In addition, the engine stalled. The failures recurred daily. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician was unable to duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The failure mileage was 70,000.

- Troutdale, VA, USA

Aug 162014

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that while driving at 40 mph, the power steering failed and the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was 100,018.

- Berne, IN, USA

Feb 152014

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that while driving 30 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was restarted and functioned normally. The failure recurred on several occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer to be serviced for NHTSA campaign number 14E021000 (component not listed), however the part needed was unavailable to perform the repair. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 88,000.

- Miami, FL, USA

Jun 042014

Cobalt

My daughter was driving home on the highway during rush hour traffic when the temp light came on showing 240 degrees and the fan kicked on and the light went off. The temp light came back on at 304 degrees and the car died while in motion. Without spending alot of money to find specifics, the mechanic is unsure why the cooling system failed currently looking at the possibility of having to replace the engine in its entirety.

- Liberty, MO, USA

Jun 172014

Cobalt 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that while driving 20 mph, the vehicle stalled due to ignition issues and caused the contact to crash into another the vehicle. A police report was filed and no injuries were reported. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 97,000. Updated 09/15/14 updated 1/13/2015

- Methuen, MA, USA

Aug 082013

Cobalt 4-cyl

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle repairs and requests reimbursement. The consumer stated the vehicle started smoking, as she was driving down the street. She stopped to a gas station, and had the vehicle inspected. The mechanic, informed her there was no oil in the engine. Also, the driver and passenger door locks were not working. The door lock switch was replaced.

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

May 232014

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, the power steering lock warning lamp illuminated and the vehicle stalled. The contact mentioned that the power steering stopped working when the engine failed and as a result, the contact lost control of the vehicle and crashed. A police report was filed. The contact sustained unknown injuries. The vehicle was towed back to the contact's residence. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The current and failure mileage was 90,000.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

May 212014

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that when shifting to drive, the engine warning light illuminated. The failure occurred on three different occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 68,001.

- Panama City, FL, USA

May 182014

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled causing another vehicle to rear end the vehicle. The contact sustained a minor back injury. A police report was not filed. The contact stated that the failure recurred on multiple occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 125,000.

- Accoville, WV, USA

May 032014

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that the engine failed to start. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was advised that the engine drive chain and pistons failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 127,000.

- Breckenridge, MI, USA

May 152014

Cobalt

Its been almost a month since my Cobalt went in to the dealer for it to get fixed. Hardly anything has been done for the car to be repaired. I have called to check and all they say its that is going to be ready soon. My daughter really needs the car for school and work transportation. Can something be done from the government so that the process can go by faster? it wasn't my fault that the car came out with alot of problems!

- Houston, TX, USA

Jul 012012

Cobalt 4-cyl

The first incident happen in 2012 and caused a crash. I was driving down the street and needed to stop at a red light and put my foot to the floor on the brakes and it did not stop me. I could not move the steering wheel either so I could not avoid hitting the lady in front of me. Luckily, I was not going very fast and everyone was okay. While exchanging insurance information, I noticed my keys were in the floor board of my vehicle. I didn't think anything of it, because when it came out of the shop it seemed just fine. Then, I was on the freeway on my way to work in 2013 and my knee bumped my key ring and they fell to the floor. I could not slow down or switch lanes. I got a speeding ticket. Then in November, 2013, the same thing happened as the first time which caused a wreck. I could not stop at a red light and rear ended a vehicle in front of me. I was barely moving whatsoever though, so I got lucky again. Recently, my check engine light came on and I took it to the autovbody shop in town and had to pay 800 dollars to get the timing chain replaced. I have had nothing but issues with that car and now I find out that many recalls have been issued on the vehicle and I have not been notified of a single one. Apparently GM was supposed to notify owners with their registration information. My registration just came up for renewal as of May 1st and I have not been notified or instructed what to do. It has gotten to the point now where I duct tape my key so that it will not come out while I am driving. I limit my driving to necessity travel because I am too afraid that something else, possibly worse, than what has already happened thus far.

- Trinity, TX, USA

Jan 062014

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that while driving approximately 27 mph, there was a loud knocking noise heard from the engine. The contact shut the vehicle off but was unable to restart the engine. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the vales in the motor were bent. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 140,000.

- Denham Spring, LA, USA

Feb 212012

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that while driving approximately 30 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was able to be restarted after several attempts and was taken to dealer, who repaired made unknown repairs to the vehicle under a manufacturer's recall campaign. The failure recurred after the repairs. Additionally, the contact stated that an overpowering odor of gasoline was present outside of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken back to dealer but was not further repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 137,000.

- Eldgewater, FL, USA