CarComplaints.com Notes: Ford changed a lot of things for its 3rd generation, just none of them were a good idea.

The transmission tends to hesitate and jerk when accelerating. The new electronically-driven power steering can fail suddenly and without warning. Even Ford's SYNC can be a headache. Actually, scratch that last one — it's always been a headache.

3.0

2013 Ford Focus miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Focus:

2013 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Nov 212018

Focus

Six weeks ago, while my car was stationary and when my care was being turned on, my car trunk stopped opening. The key (full battery) will not open it, the interior car release will not open and the trunk latch will not open it. Additionally, the warning light and beeping noise is constantly on when stationary and when driving, saying that the trunk is open. There is not way to fix. I've been told by the dealership that there is faulty wiring.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Dec 012018

Focus

The vehicle sound system, radio, is making a loud popping noise, even when the radio is off and the radio is not working. My mother, owner of the vehicle is 79. This loud popping noise, is startling, which causes her to panic, which in my opinion is a safety factor. Iżve read on the internet that this is happening to many Ford models including hers. The Ford dealer states it is $105 just for them to trouble shoot. Iżve read also on the internet that dealers fix one component of the sound system, which works for a little while, then the issue returns, only to replace another component and on and on. My 79 year old mother does not have that kind of money, and will be sucked dry, if this happens to her. So our delima is to not do anything because of money, and take the chance on her having an accident cause of the startleing effect, which turns into panic, and possible an accident. We feel this is a safety issue. And would appreciate a resolution. Once again the popping noise comes from the radio system, the radio does not work and the sound happens when the radio is on or off. This issue has been going on for almost a month.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Nov 182018

Focus

Battery charger over heated and melted charger causing damage to the charger unable to use and to my outlet.

- Stockton, CA, USA

Oct 302018

Focus

Initially, once vehicle is started and radio is turned on, crackling sounds are heard across entire dash of car. Radio stops working. Some days radio works, other days long stretches of crackling and then radio stops. Recently, radio does not work at all. When back door is opened, speaker in rear driver door crackles and sound is heard all the way to the front driver door and across dash to the radio. Radio has stopped working altogether. Cannot be turned off (appears to be on even though not working). Events occurred over 2 week period. No difficulty with transmission, operation or dashboard. Last event with crackling occurred as rear driver side door was opened to put items in back seat. Car not running.

- Brillion, WI, USA

Oct 292018

Focus

Hill start assist light unavailable light and skid light came on. Car jolts in it's own direction all of a sudden. Clutch problem also. Car isn't driving properly or shifting in gears properly. Driving car on street. When turning car wants to go in it's own direction. Scary.

- Holland, OH, USA

Mar 152017

Focus

Power steering going out with no warning. It was stationary at the time.I stopped for coffee on any to work. After turning it off and restarting it several times it returned to normal. When I took it in to have it checked. I was told nothing wrong. This has happened several times since the first occurance. Always stationary and or at a red light. I have taken it in and same result.it needs to be brought in when the problem acures. The steering is electric therefore the need for fluid isn't a fix or cure. When this happens it's not impossible to control but very difficult to do so. This is a can be a dangerous problem when on a hwy going 65 or 70 mph. In closing let me state that I am still waiting for the last recall to be fixed. I received a letter over 2 years ago. Received one call from akins Ford letting me know they were short on parts and they haven't come across any problems with any that were fixed and I would be called when a opening was available for my vehicle to be fixed. To date no calls from them when I called to asked about it the person or persons handling the recall doesn't reach out to me on this issue.

- Winder, GA, USA

Mar 122018

Focus

While driving the car stereo starting to pop and having static sound. The pop sound is very loud and always unexpected. While driving the pops sound can makes you turn the driving steering wheel to a side.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Aug 172018

Focus

Driving to work my door (driver) suddenly flew open while I was turning onto harrison dr. Corner of patrick and could have caused an accident through the suddenness. I remember feeling unable to react or think of the right thing to do, as if in a panik. I have tried to get an appointment for repair but every Ford and Lincoln dealer here in las vegas Nevada are hopelessly booked into the future for 2 weeks. I can't wait that long. The car is inoperable in this condition!

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Aug 012018

Tougth direction.

- Los ÁNgeles, CA, USA

Aug 132018

Focus

The vehicle- whether stationary, in motion, or driving- emits random loud cracks and pops from the speakers. Even if my radio is turned off- the randomness of it is so scary that it is a driving hazard. I reached out to Ford and they will not fix it.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Jun 082018

Focus

The battery light came on while drive, but went off after turning the car off and on. The light came back off and on the next day, while driving home the next day, the light came on again and the car became really hard to turn. Once I got the car home parked, the wheel completely locked up on me. Now I receive the transmission fault error whenever the car is stared along with the battery light. I had the alternator replaced, but both issues still persist. Anyone else has had this issue?

- Memphis, TN, USA

Jul 112018

Focus

At 38,500 miles radio would randomly make loud popping and static noises now a few months later the radio quit all together. Fuses are good

- Maplewood, MN, USA

Jun 302018

Focus

Transmission shudder then driving on highway low oil light came on randomly happened before took to shop and said the rear main seal went out which caused oil to leak into transmission and making the clutch slip

- Canton, OH, USA

Jun 062018

Focus

After filling up the tank with gas, the vehicle stutters and feels like it's jumping when I am at a stop light and start to go. The gas gauge goes up while I am driving and the vehicle runs out of gas randomly. I was parked at my house and it wouldn't crank when I ran out of gas the 1st time (about three weeks ago) and the 2nd time (6/6/2018), I was on the interstate and the vehicle died due to no gas, yet the gauge was not on empty. Fortunately I was able to get off the side of the road and call roadside assistance. The vehicle is now at at Ford service repair shop and I am waiting to hear from them but the service repairman said this is a common problem, that he had the same vehicle in the week before with this same issue. Last Friday, I had a customer service representative with a Ford dealership tell me this is a common problem that occurs in this vehicle. Obviously running out of gas randomly is very dangerous. There needs to be a recall on this immediately to save lives. Ford needs to take responsibility for this manufacturing defect.

- Jacksonville Beach, FL, USA

Jun 072018

Focus

The check engine light came on and my car starts jerking and skidding and slowing down. I was scared and didnżT know what to do because I had my daughter in the car. I called my technician and he said that a code came up on my car P087A. He said that the code has to do with the transmission, as the fault is a common fault with this type of transmission that Ford started using in 2001. IżM trying to see if this vehicle is covered under warranty and if Ford has a recall on this issue. The car has about 77K miles.

- Richmond, TX, USA

May 162018

Focus

The car is stalling and has a rough idle. Within 2 weeks my car stalled and then shut down while driving 55 mph on the highway and would not restart or stay on once I got it pulled over to side of the road. I was lucky that there was no one directly behind me on the road otherwise it would have been a really bad disaster. Gas mileage said I had over 100 miles to empty. Paid to get it towed twice and when taken to the mechanic he turned it on (after 2 hours) and the car showed empty 0 miles/fuel. He put a few dollars in gas and it ran just fine. Since then I cannot trust the fuel reading of mileage. Ford dealer says there is no recall on fuel system but they are happy to do a diagnosis for over $100 and then they can tell me whats wrong with it. Not an affordable solution at this time other than to put gas in it after I drive every 50 miles. South boston,

- Clover, VA, USA

May 282018

Focus

Auto stop working and sudenly shift off un highways with unknown rasons or cause. This is expÉrience at lease 2 or 3 times daily. Several warning lights comes on. Then you need to stop and restart. This is dangerous when it happens in highways.

- San Juan, PR, USA

Apr 302018

Focus

I try turning on my car it does not start. It turns on but doesnżT fully power up. Iżve heard many people have this problem with this car as well

- Blue Island, IL, USA

May 072018

Focus

My car smell like gas and after iput gas in the car im unable to start it. My front door its closing as if the latch has broken, but it looks

- Dallas, TX, USA

Nov 272017

Focus

Loud crackling/popping/static sound comes from radio at random intervals, radio then stops producing sound, have to turn the car off, open & shut door, then turn car back on then radio starts working again. Safety concern is the loudness of the sound coming at random times is startling and can cause an involuntary jerk/jump. Numerous people have had the same issue- one example is this forum: www.focusfanatics.com/forum/car-audio-sync-myford-touch-electronics/358625-crackling-radio-problem-my-2012-sel-38.html. I have video of the issue, which I cannot upload, but type Ford radio issue into youtube and you'll find lots of examples.

- Washougal, WA, USA