CarComplaints.com Notes: It's worrying when the top category for 2016 Honda Pilot problems are transmission problems. Owners report jerking when accelerating. Also as the first model year of the redesigned 3rd generation Pilot, it's not a good sign.

Honda released a TSB on October 29 2016 that's possibly related. The TSB deals with a "a judder from the torque converter lock-up clutch ... while driving between 20 and 60 mph" due to deteriorated transmission fluid resulting from "specific driving conditions". In the TSB, Honda states they are developing a software fix to try to keep the transmission fluid temperature within spec.

We are keeping a close eye on this defect trend because if certain driving conditions can affect transmission shifting in the first year of ownership, we'd hate to think what 10+ years will do.

8.0

2016 Honda Pilot body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Honda Pilot:

2016 Honda Pilot Owner Comments

Nov 092016

Pilot EX V6

Apparently this is common among this model. The tailgate dumps a bunch (half gallon?) of water all over you, the interior of the car and it's contents after a rain of any significance. Especially nice when you forget this bizarre problem and open it up to watch the car dump water all over something valuable - nice clothing or electronics. Thanks Honda! It's all over the internet with videos and forums talking about it. Really unlike Honda to have such a big overbite design-wise. I think of them as one of the gold standards of great functional design. Not on this one! Wish I'd never bought this car. Hope they figure it out, but all the buzz on the internet says they mainly deny it's a problem and don't have solutions to offer.

- John W., Memphis, TN, US

May 152017

Pilot

Tailgate on my 2016 Honda Pilot fills with water after a couple days of rain. Water runs back into headliner when the tailgate is opened and enters cabin. Water also drips from rubber bumpers when tailgate is open. This is now on record a know problem with Honda, but no solution is available yet. I've been told to call the dealer each month. In the meantime, I can't pack my car on a rainy days or my stuff gets soaked and my car will start to smell from mildew.

- Dawn C., Buffalo, NY, US