— A Sprinter van recall has been issued for more than 4,400 vehicles that may be have connecting screws on the exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) pipes which may not have been correctly tightened.
Loose connecting screws can cause hot exhaust gases to leak from the EGR pipes and start fires.
It's at least the 15th recall of Sprinter vans since 2018, with this latest recall covering 2019 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter and Freightliner Sprinter vans.
The EGR pipes are located between the exhaust gas collection pipes and the exhaust gas recirculation controllers, and the loose connecting screws can fail to seal the flange surfaces at the end of the EGR pipes. The hot exhaust gas can leak into the engine compartments and melt surrounding components.
Mercedes-Benz learned of the problem in June 2019 and opened an internal investigation into thermal effects of leaking exhaust.
The automaker ruled out the possibility of exhaust gas entering the passenger compartment through the fresh air supply because the components responsible for the fresh air supply in the passenger compartment are tightly sealed.
In addition to the primary defect, Mercedes also learned about a potential problem with the flange seal between the exhaust gas turbocharger and the diesel particulate filter.
The Mercedes-Benz and Freightliner Sprinter recall is expected to begin March 27, 2020, when dealers will fix the screw connections and the flange seals on the exhaust gas recirculation pipes.
Sprinter van customers may call 877-762-8267 and refer to recall number VS3AGROHR.
Read about Sprinter van recalls announced since 2018.
- Daimler Sprinter Vans Recalled For Cargo-Related Problems
- 3 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter and Freightliner Sprinter Vans Recalled
- Mercedes-Benz Sprinter Van Recall Issued For Diesel Fuel Leaks
- Mercedes and Freightliner Sprinter Vans Recalled Over Airbag Systems
- Mercedes and Freightliner Sprinter Vans Recalled For Loose Hoods
- Sprinter 1500, 2500, 3500 and 4500 Vans Recalled
- Mercedes Sprinter Vans Have High-Beam Headlight Problems
- 2019 Freightliner Sprinter and Mercedes-Benz Sprinter Vans Recalled
- Mercedes-Benz Sprinter VS30 Recalled Over Fog Lights
- Recall: Stop Driving Your 2019 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter VS30
- Sprinter 2500 and 3500 Vans Recalled To Fix Door Locks
- Sprinter 2500 and 3500 Vans Recalled Over Welds
- Daimler Recalls Sprinter 2500 and 3500 Vans For Takata Airbags
- Sprinter 3500 Vans Recalled Due to Crosswind Assist