2012 Ford Focus fuel system NHTSA complaints: Fuel/Propulsion System

NHTSA — Fuel/Propulsion System Problems

2012 Ford Focus (Page 1 of 13)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

2012 Ford Focus fuel system problems

2012 Ford Focus Owner Comments (Page 1 of 13)

Jun 062019

Focus

Tanque esta desforme por segunda vez.SE realizÓ la primera campaÑa 18S32 luego de 6 meses presento el mismo problema.

- Manati, PR, USA

Jan 142017

Focus

My car fails to accelerate without shuddering even after the clutch was replaced and computer reprogrammed. It first started having transmission issues when it had only around 60,000 miles on it and was around five years old. Even after being fixed, my cars transmission light came on and it coasted to a stop at the side of a busy road. I was able to drive it at jarringly loud low gear home. Because I was told it was out of warranty the second time, I took it to another mechanic who reset the computer and told me he suspected the transmission itself is bad. It drive ok, but with astonishingly low power and dangerous freeway merges for another two years. Now the shuddering is bad again and the transmission groaning in between low gear changes. Additionally the cpv on this car was bad once, and it warped the gas pan. The dealership reset the computer codes controlling the valve but now the engine code for that problem is on again too. This car feels unsafe, but I have little alternatives. I have now way to get to work without it.

- Burbank, CA, USA

Feb 072021

Focus

This is a problem related to safety recall 18S32. Ford Focus 2012 stalled and shut off while backing out of driveway and wouldn't turn back on. I went to an independent car shop and was told the purge valve malfunctioned and caused the gas tank to deform. I called my Ford dealer and requested them to replace the parts because it was the same problem from the 2018 recall. They confirmed that it was the same issue but said they wouldn't replace the parts for free because they already closed the recall. However, when they closed the recall for me in 2019, they didn't tell me that they only reprogrammed and didn't actually replace the parts. If they had replaced the parts in 2019, they wouldn't have malfunctioned now. Obviously the Ford dealer must have made a mistake when attempting to repair my car and didn't actually fix it. This is a huge safety issue for Ford cars because the car can stall and turn off at any time. Even if they fixed it back in 2019 (which obviously they didn't), it's not working now, meaning they need to do another recall and actually solve the problem. I'm now stuck driving my car with a huge safety issue until I can afford to pay for the repairs or until they reopen the recall.

- Nashua, NH, USA

Oct 012020

Focus

I was driving home and it started to shift incorrectly and luckily I was closer to home. By the time I had to turn into my driveway it quit shifting all together. My door locks do not lock, I've had to bungee the rear doors together. My mirrors do not work. Also the fuel gauge doesn't read correctly.

- Quinton, AL, USA

Nov 282020

Focus

I purchased my vehicle October 14,2020 from day one every time, I put gas in it, it stalled to crank and you could smell a rotten egg smell. I would have to sit and wait and press the gas numerous of times before the car started. My driver side back door came flying open the same day and would not latch back to close. Here it is November 28, 2020 my car starts smoking really bad and now won¿T even crank up to drive. I paid 4,056 cash for a car I can¿T even enjoy.

- Meherrin, VA, USA

Nov 062020

Focus

I was driving on a busy highway where the speed limit is 70 miles per hour, and the car suddenly slowed down while I was stepping on the gas, until it stopped and then cut off in the middle of I-40, while other cars sped by me swerving out of the way in order to not crash into me from behind. I then took the 2012 Ford Focus SE to my mechanic, and after he investigated the malfunction, he said he observed the gas tank of the car "breathing in and out like a diaphragm or a lung" due to an excessive vacuum, which he thought had also damaged other parts of the fuel system beyond just normal wear and tear, resulting in other fuel related error codes. The mechanic told me to take the Ford Focus to a Ford dealership right away, because a fuel tank moving in and out that way, causes fissure cracks to develop inside of it that could cause a tank to leak gasoline or rupture during a crash, potentially causing an explosion and/or fire. The mechanic also told me he could not imagine that Ford Motor Company wouldn't remove and then replace the fuel tank on my car, because not doing so in his opinion would be extremely dangerous. The dealership that is representing the Ford Motor Company who will ultimately approve the replacement of the fuel tank or not, attempted to and would have given the car back to me in an extremely dangerous condition rather than making the necessary repairs that Ford Motor Company is being forced to fix by the us government.

- Zebulon, NC, USA

Nov 232020

Focus

I was driving on a busy highway where the speed limit is 70 miles per hour, and the car suddenly slowed down while I was stepping on the gas, until it stopped and then cut off in the middle of I-40, while other cars sped by me swerving out of the way in order to not crash into me from behind. I then took the 2012 Ford Focus SE to my mechanic, and after he investigated the malfunction, he said he observed the gas tank of the car "breathing in and out like a diaphragm or a lung" due to an excessive vacuum, which he thought had also damaged other parts of the fuel system beyond just normal wear and tear. The mechanic told me to take the Ford Focus to a Ford dealership right away, because a fuel tank moving in that way causes fissure cracks to develop inside of it that could cause a tank to leak gasoline or rupture during a crash, potentially causing an explosion. The mechanic also told me he could not imagine that the Ford dealership wouldn't remove and then replace the fuel tank on my car, because not doing so in his opinion would be extremely dangerous. Then I took the car to the Ford dealership located at: 2807 East millbrook road, raleigh, North Carolina, 27604 - phone number: (984)232-7601, and they told me that it looked fine to them, and that the car door hinges were also under recall and they weren't going to replace those either. Then I told the Ford dealership that I'd already taken the car to another mechanic first, and that I thought they were trying to repair as little as possible and do as little repairs as they could get away with; then I asked them to reexam the car again. But if I hadn't already taken that vehicle to a different mechanic first, the Ford dealership would have given it back to me in an extremely dangerous condition rather than making the necessary repairs that Ford is being forced to do by the government.

- Zebulon, NC, USA

Nov 182020

Focus

The fuel tank collapsed, the fuel gauge is acting erratically, it is lacking power and the codes P0171 and P1450 are showing. The fuel tank is also deformed. The check engine light came on, so the vehicle was taken to a local shop to find out what was wrong. The recall 18S32 has been issued for these problems but when we called a local Ford dealership, they informed us that our vehicle is not covered under the recall.

- Westminster, MD, USA

Oct 022020

Focus

Vehicle stalled in the middle of the road and did not turn back on. The vehicle was towed to the Ford dealership. The electric fuel pump, fuel pump assembly, and sender was replaced.

- Arecibo, PR, USA

Oct 022020

- Arecibo, PR, USA

Sep 202019

Focus

I'm writing to complain about how Ford handled the safety recall 18S32 / NHTSA recall 18V-735. When I got the letter in the mail that my car was recalled for this part that could cause the gas tank to collapse I took it to my local Ford dealership and they reprogrammed the valve, which to me is just putting a band aid on the problem and not repairing it. 11 months later the part failed and when I took it back to the dealership to have it replaced they charged me for the repair. After talking with Ford Motor Company they are telling me that this is their policy. My opinion is that the part should have been replaced on the first visit. This will cause safety issues if left with the faulty part on the car. Can you check into why Ford has such a policy in place ? thanks, scott

- Thomasville, NC, USA

Sep 252020

Focus

Under Ford recall # 18S32 a fuel tank deformation may happen from the canister purge valve (cpv). My vehicle was only fixed with the replacement of purge valve and reprogramming the PCM; akins Ford invoice# focs439115' line J#3 on invoice. No where on the invoice does it say the fuel tank was inspected. I received car back and I had run out of fuel twice (with gauge saying atleast 50+ miles to empty) over the next few months. I have another recall for the door locks and after talking with dealership we agreed to schedule a date where as Ford could give a loaner car so that the dealership could address both issues. A week later I was told that the fuel tank is deformed and needed replacement but Ford would not pay for it?? I was given email that Ford will not go back to open the case about tank recall because they feel I am not a " long term value (ltv) customer" " fyi I and my family have bought several cars over the years and just because I haven't purchased a new one in the last 5 years and did just buy this car at beginning of 2020 ;but my brother in-law did at end of 2019.. " why should this matter when a safety issue; which it is still, where the car could stop running while in the highway because of the unsure status of how much fuel is left. There are several things online about this happening to other owners cars just stalling in the lanes.

- Epworth, GA, USA

Feb 072020

Focus

This is about recall 18S32 fuel tank deformation recall I had this car in the dealership several times and my opinion this dealership is useless I run my VIN on this site and shows this recall has not been fixed I also have another issue that seems is being looked at by fmcsa the steering fault and the steering going out I personally had a close call when the steering went out and almost caused a wreck

- Ft.Smith, AR, USA

Jul 042020

Focus

I have a 2012 Ford Focus seli I recently went to a Ford dealership to get my purge valve replace because I seen online that my particular vehicle was the same type of vehicle that the government had placed a recall on it because of the purge valve is becoming 40S I have the same issue and I tried to go to Ford to get it fixed they told me that since it was already fixed they can¿T fix the issue again no I only have the car for only nine months and within the nine months is became a became faulty. I need for to be responsible for replacing their defective device is that they fail to build properly

- Hinesville, GA, USA

Sep 062020

Focus

Took my vehicle in for the recall on the door latches and they said everything was good and when L check the VIN on the NHTSA it states that recall incomplete. Also Ford had a recall my Ford Focus in my 2012 year about the evap L have had code P0456 in relation to P0456 evaporative emissions system - small leak detected. Ford supposely did a recall on this and supposely did work on my vehicle before L owned it, now it has same issue so L believe it was never changed out" I believe that recall was back in 2016 or 2017 or 2018"

- Newport News, VA, USA

Aug 182020

Focus

2012 Ford Focus known to have transmission problems. Brakes rumble when being pressed. I am concerned about the safety of the transmission. I have seen that Ford has known about this problem. What is Ford doing to correct this problem

- San Diego, CA, USA

Jun 242020

Focus

My wife bought this vehicle in June 2020, she has been having fuel system engine light codes coming on P0456 and P1450 L know there was a recall in relation to this and L understand the previous vehicle owner had the recall done on June 14, 2019 a year ago, I called Ford customer care and they are not willing to take care of it, it is not normal to have the issue come back after one year from taking care of it. I am asking the NHTSA to assist on this. Thank you

- Newport News, VA, USA

Jun 192020

Focus

While driving on the freeway around 6pm and taking an on ramp onto another freeway the Ford Focus stalled mid-drive and would not accelerate anymore or switch to higher gears when the accelerator was pressed. The Ford immediately could not go any faster than first gear and luckily we avoided an accident by pulling to the side of the freeway on ramp into the vegetation since there was no shoulder. There was no noise or indication that something had happened to the vehicle. The engine light came on and the vehicle just stopped driving in the middle of driving at around 50mph. It would not drive backwards when put into reverse and would rev up to extremely high RPM when the driver tried to move forwards or backwards. Towed the car to the mechanic the next day and they ran a diagnostic that came back with 5 error codes including: P0805, P087A, P2831, P2836, and P2861. A pin point test was performed and found that the voltage was at a consistent 5 volts, so they cleared the codes and took the vehicle for a test drive and it was fine again. The vehicle has about 79,000 miles. Attached will be the mechanics form along with what they said are several codes for related recalls that were supposedly already fixed.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Jun 232020

Focus

The transmission shutters and shakes very frequently. Vehicle also periodically will almost stall while driving. Overall the vehicle just feels incredibly unsafe and unreliable while operating.

- Fort Gratiot, MI, USA