- June 11: Nissan Altima CVT Class Action Lawsuit May Be Settled news | 6 days ago
- May 31: Nissan Altimas Recalled For Risk of Fires recalls | 17 days ago
- May 12: Appeals Court Upholds $25 Million Verdict Against Nissan news | 36 days ago
- May 1: Nissan Recalls Altimas To Fix Everlasting Brake Lights and Rollaways recalls | 47 days ago
- April 21: Suzuki Recalls 2 Million Cars in Japan Over Safety Inspections news | 57 days ago
Steering Wheel Lock Failure
2009 Nissan Altima (Page 1 of 23)
This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Nissan dealer.
CarComplaints.com Notes: You don't want to get 2009 and 2010 Altima owners started about their cars. That is, unless, you know how to start their cars.
These vehicles can suddenly become impossible to start thanks to a faulty electronic steering column lock (ESCL). Nissan dealers will gladly replace it, but that will run you $1000.
More info & videos about the Nissan ESCL defect are available over at NissanProblems.com.
It's one of the many reasons this car was named CarTalk's Turd of the Week and given our Beware of this Clunker badge. Two dubious honors.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 89,700 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 459 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- replace steering wheel lock (169 reports)
- not sure (107 reports)
- replace steering lock controller unit (98 reports)
- make it recall (26 reports)
- replace electronic steering wheel column (13 reports)
- replace brake switch (8 reports)