- May 11: Nissan Exploding Sunroof Lawsuit Dismissed news | 12 days ago
- May 2: 2022 Nissan Rogues Need New Fuel Tanks recalls | 21 days ago
- April 22: Nissan Sentra Headlight Replacement Recall Affects 6,000 Cars recalls | 31 days ago
- March 13: Nissan Altima Rust Class Action Lawsuit Settlement Reached news | 71 days ago
- March 11: Top Vehicle Safety Picks For 2022 news | 73 days ago
Steering Wheel Lock Failure
2009 Nissan Altima (Page 1 of 24)
This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Nissan dealer.
CarComplaints.com Notes: You don't want to get 2009 and 2010 Altima owners started about their cars. That is, unless, you know how to start their cars.
These vehicles can suddenly become impossible to start thanks to a faulty electronic steering column lock (ESCL). Nissan dealers will gladly replace it, but that will run you $1000.
More info & videos about the Nissan ESCL defect are available over at NissanProblems.com.
It's one of the many reasons this car was named CarTalk's Turd of the Week and given our Beware of this Clunker badge. Two dubious honors.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 90,350 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 467 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- replace steering wheel lock (171 reports)
- not sure (109 reports)
- replace steering lock controller unit (99 reports)
- make it recall (28 reports)
- replace electronic steering wheel column (13 reports)
- replace brake switch (8 reports)