- September 20: Nissan ABS Actuator Recall Issued a 2nd Time recalls | 1 days ago
- September 1: Nissan Ignition Switch Problems Cause Recall recalls | 20 days ago
- August 21: Mazda Says It Didn't Falsify Fuel Economy and Emissions Inspections news | 31 days ago
- August 20: Nissan Altima CVT Lawsuit Filed in Massachusetts news | 32 days ago
- August 7: Nissan Recalls Versa Cars to Replace Takata Airbag Inflators recalls | 45 days ago
Steering Wheel Lock Failure
2009 Nissan Altima (Page 1 of 23)
This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Nissan dealer.
CarComplaints.com Notes: You don't want to get 2009 and 2010 Altima owners started about their cars. That is, unless, you know how to start their cars.
These vehicles can suddenly become impossible to start thanks to a faulty electronic steering column lock (ESCL). Nissan dealers will gladly replace it, but that will run you $1000.
More info & videos about the Nissan ESCL defect are available over at NissanProblems.com.
It's one of the many reasons this car was named CarTalk's Turd of the Week and given our Beware of this Clunker badge. Two dubious honors.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 89,300 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 455 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- replace steering wheel lock (168 reports)
- not sure (107 reports)
- replace steering lock controller unit (98 reports)
- make it recall (25 reports)
- replace electronic steering wheel column (12 reports)
- replace brake switch (8 reports)