CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2013 Nissan Altima has multiple problem trends including the CVT transmission, and now that this model is out of warranty, it earns our "Avoid Like The Plague" badge.

Owners complain about vibration and transmission failure related to the CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission), a whining noise from the power steering pump, and constant windshield problems that appear to be the result of poor design.

Be warned: the 2014 & 2015 Nissan Altima appears to share these same problems.

6.0

$2,300

1. new transmission (2 reports)
2013 Nissan Altima transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Nissan Altima:

2013 Nissan Altima Owner Comments

Jul 042019

Altima SV 2.5L

• CVT transmission

I own a Nissan Altima 2013 SV. I understand that this model was a major change in several years. The transmission on this car just broke down at 82000 which makes this really unreliable. I was traveling to Asheville NC. As soon as I reach Asheville and was turning into a parking lot, the car shuddered completely. I was not sure what went wrong. Initially I thought I had a flat tire and thought to check it once I pulled the car into an empty parking space. But the car suddenly stalled in the middle of a parking lot. Lucky, it did not stop in the traffic. That would have been a real horror. So, I turned off the engine put the car into park and turned it back on. The engine starts but as soon as I move the gear into "Reverse" or "Drive" the car stalls immediately.

I tired it a couple of times more but no luck. So I put the car into "Neutral" and push the car into an empty space. I called my insurance for towing assistance and had got the car moved to a dealership in Asheville. They ran diagnostics on the car and confirmed that I needed to change the transmission on the car and that it would cost me a little over $4000. I have already seen few pages on the internet regarding the lawsuit filed against Nissan for the defective transmissions on this model. The articles stated that Nissan has agreed to extend the warranty by 2 years or 24000 miles to an existing warranty of 5 years or 60000 miles. Since I am within the limit, I asked the dealer about the same but they say that they do not have anything official from Nissan so they would not fix my car. I really must say that I was lucky that it did not stop on the freeway on the way towards Asheville.

I do not think Nissan would have even cared if the transmission broke on the freeway and if the car ran into a barrier. The lawsuit does state that the car stalls or looses control when this issue occurs. Nissan knew about the faulty parts installed on the cars but did not issue a recall or even notify the dealers to replace the part and that it should be covered under the warranty. I really loved driving this car but it is really unreliable. I decided to look for a new car but rest assured it would never be a Nissan even if I get the best deal.

Update from Jul 23, 2019: So the new update is, I spoke to Nissan directly on their hotline number. They raised a ticket for my case and a Regional manager gave me a call the next day. I was told that as a kind gesture, Nissan would cover 80% of the charges for the replacement of the CVT assembly. They do have some VIN numbers which were offered a full refund but unfortunately mine does not come under that list. I was still glad that they offered to cover maximum chunk of the charges and I got it fixed by a nearby dealer. The new CVT was given a warranty of 12 months/ 12,000 miles which ever is earlier. Overall, I am glad that Nissan did address the issue.

- Manoj B., Brentwood, TN, US

Jan 072019

Altima SV

• CVT transmission

103000 miles and CVT torque converter failed requiring new tranny. Dealer quoted me $4500 to fix, "You're joking me" i replied, nope. .revised cost $4100. I was stunned not having suspected this and just having the CVT serviced 7500 miles before. With no warning the engine light came on and transmission would not shift properly. High RPMs on freeway, no power for passing or accelerating from a stop. Fortunately there was not a serious failure on the freeway on the way home from where I was at. Filed a complaint with Nissan and they did 'graciously' cover 60% non-negotiable. Dealer was kind enough to provide a loaner for the 2 weeks it took to get the issue resolved through to completion.

- daddypain, Snohomish, US